$18 a man hour. Are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RYAN, Mar 15, 2001.

1. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Just got a call from a property manager saying all my numbers looked good on the bid exceept the mulch. The property had a decent amount of mulching and the property manager said he would provide the mulch and that he wanted to know what it would cost to install it. I bid $40 per man hour and now he tells me that is way too high and that some other fool bid $18 per hour. Is there really an idiot out there bidding that low or is he pulling my leg. I think this is my first real lowballer encounter. Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen guys buy mulch for $22/yd and bill it at $37/yd. Welcome to the world of BIG business. I would advise your potential customer to make sure that he has a copy of this guys insurance before he contracts the job out to him.

Just my .02
    Kris

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I would kindly explain that $18 and hour minus 30-40% taxes, insurance, & payroll leaves zero for the company, can't do it.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Question. If he gives the mulching to MR.$18 an hour, can you still get the rest of the work?

5. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

good question. He said he will call back in a day or 2 and I can ask him then. At the time I was in a state of disbelief

6. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

From reading your post it sounds like he needs to go jump in a lake. First he is buying the product himself cutting into profit you would make on material. Now he is yanking your chain on hourly rate. Property Managers do not get paid for how much spend but how much saved and you are low man on the pole.
    (Yank on a dogs chain long enough and he will bite your a$$) don't let him set your price.

sorry but I just can not stand tight-wad @#$ iths that try to get over on you!

7. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

You said the rest of the bid is good, at 18 an hour he must expect you to drop your guys off and let them do the work. Or I would give him a set price on the job. How much do you think the job is worth. Not by the hour? I never do any jobs by the hour anyway!!! Sometimes in the spring we are running with the wheel barrows and it wouldn't be fair to only get an hourly rated job, we would have to work normaly and we wouldn't make any money that way!!!

8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Are you in Indiana? That sounds like the rate that the overcrowded..mowing/mulching area in South central Indiana bid.....Thats why I am pondering escape from the biz!

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok granted that i'm still only 18, i owuld never kill myself for only $18 a hour. some companies around here pay their guys $20 if there good enough. i can see in a year or 2 that company will be holding up signs on the side of the road, lowballers will cut for food. ohh wait they are now.

10. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

I would politely explain that if all he want's you for is labor then it's gonna be pretty expensive! Heck like would this guy want to spread mulch for $18 an hour, I don't think so.Then why should he expect you to? Especially when your not even getting your cut on materials! Dude this is just a bad deal all the way around and I would run from it. Go ahead and let Mr. $18 an hour mess it up and then Mr. property manager can pay you to make it right!