18 HP Kohler Command-Only runs in full choke

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HandEnterprises, May 29, 2003.

1. HandEnterprises

HandEnterprises LawnSite Member

Hello! I have a Scag 52" with a 18 HP Kohler Command. The first time I've had a problem with it was today, it died while cutting. I had to choke it to get it started and it would only stay running under full choke. I pulled the carb and found no dirt, but thoroughly cleaned and blew it out. The fuel pump is working fine also. I even pulled one off of another working mower to make sure. I know the gas is good, because I filled up all of my mower's at the same place and time. Any suggestions of what might be causing this? Thanks for any help!

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

It has to be the carb. Keep cleaning.

3. HandEnterprises

well theres not a lot to clean. all of the jet passages are clear all flow carb cleaner and air 125psi.

4. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

Doesn't this indicate it's either not getting enough gas or it's getting too much air? You could check for any air leaks. If you don't find any air leaks, you could then find out if there's anything blocking delivery of the gas.

But before you do anything, you might want to check to see if the choke is working properly. The engine doesn't have to be running. Turn the choke "full on" (closed) then look and see where the choke really is. Just a thought. It might be something really simple.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Vacumm Leak. Maybe the seal between the carb and the block. Or in the carb itself.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Bleeder valve stuck open? May need a manual on/off switch on your gas line. Just had to do that to mine today.....would only run with choke on, and only for a few seconds. Had gas in my oil, so changed the oil, put the switch on, and all's fine. GL!

7. HandEnterprises

A MECHANIC AT THE DEALER TOLD ME THAT SINCE IT HAS ELECTRIC START IT MAY BE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WITH THE SILONOID IN THE BOTTOM OF THE CARB BOWL IF I DONT HEAR A CLICKING FROM IT WHEN I TURN THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION. I CHECKED IT AND THERE WAS NO CLICKING . I TRACED THE WIRE FROM IT BACK TO A FUES BLOCK UNDER THE DASH BOARD . I HAD TO PRY THE OLD FUSE OUT BECAUSE IT WAS MELTED. REPLACED THE FUSE AND IT WORKS JUST FINE NOW EXCEPT IT NEEDS A LITTLE CARB TWEEKING . THANKS FOR ALL OF THE GOOD IDEAS