18 HP Kohler Governor Out of Wack-Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HandEnterprises, May 3, 2005.

1. HandEnterprises

HandEnterprises LawnSite Member

Hey all! I have an 18HP Kohler and I thought it was running slow, and after putting on a TinyTach I found out it was only running 3200 RPMs. I tried to adjust the Governor to get it to 3600 but now it's out of wack and goes way higher than that and now I can't get it back the way it was. Does anyone know of a way to reset it back to the way it was from the factory? Thanks!!!!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Is This a Command Series,or Magnum ?
    Explain in short where and how you tried to make the adjustment ?

14yr Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
    Kohler Factory Trained
    Tecumseh
    Honda
    Kawasaki
    Onan
    Robin
    Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft

3. HandEnterprises

it is a kohler command pro 18 single cylinder. i tried to adjust it where the shaft comes out of the block and attaches to the the arm that goes to the carb.

4. Restrorob

Ok move your throttle control to wide open position as your doing so watch the direction the arm is moving the shaft,Loosen the holding screw on the arm and turn the shaft in the same direction the arm moved it. (it wont move much) hold a light pressure on the shaft while tightening the arm but make sure the arm doesn't move while tightening , That will get you back to factory setting.
    Adjust the high speed at the throttle control box by moving the throttle cable or a adjustment screw,I cant tell you exactly because its been a little while sence I had to adjust this particular engine.
    I will check my service manual in the morning and post again if nobody else does.

5. Restrorob

On the throttle control assembly there will be a hole along side the cable,Move the throttle cable until the hole in the inside lever aligns with the outside hole,Insert the shank of a 1/4" drill bit in the hole to keep them aligned,loosen the two screws holding the throttle plate to the engine this plate is slotted,slide the plate up to increse RPM and retighten.

6. HandEnterprises

thanks for the help but after trying i knew that it shouldn't have been this hard to get it back and something else must be wrong.i took it to the dealer this morning and they called and said that i stripped out some thing on the inside. looks like another expensive lesson learned. thanks again

7. Restrorob

Hope It isn't Too bad ! just a little Friendly Advice,Ask first if your not sure we are here to help.
    Good Luck !