1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

18 HP yanmar diesel motor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Mar 5, 2003.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

My brother in law asked me to find out opinions on the yanmar diesel engine. He is looking to buy a JD 355 18 hp yanmar diesel or a JD 345 gas 20 hp. What is your experience?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a 18hp Yanmar diesel on my Gator. Tons of power and torque compared to the 10hp Kawasaki I had on my first Gator. It sips fuel. It uses less fuel than the 10hp gaser.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yanmars are good they are built tough...they are the cummins of small diesels (i.e LOUD knock)
  4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for replys. My brother-in-law will be glad to here the positive responce. It is $575 more for the diesel and I told him I thought it was worth the the cash.
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahhh its worth more to me than that...I love the yanmars well...diesels in general. Nothing smells better than fresh diesel exhaust in the morning....sun comming up mid 60's outside....sweeet green grass to cut on a 5 acre field....2 cold bottles of water waiting for you when your done and a mower raring to go OK WAIT stop dreaming...geesh spring is just around the corner I cant wait
  6. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Yanmar 26HP on a DC-60. It is bullet proof and paying for itself in gasoline savings.
  7. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Yanmar 22 hp on my JD F935. Have had no problems. Very fuel efficient. Burns around 11 gal. every 2 days, 16 hrs. of mowing.
  8. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

I believe the 18 hp is the 2-cylinder -- my dealer told me that the next size up is a 3-cylinder and runs drastically smoother.

That bit of advice probably doesn't help your brother-in-law, who probably won't be willing to pay an extra two grand for a JD 4-series.

But I would advise him to give the 18 hp a good test-run to make sure he's comfortable with an engine that's not a smooth as the kaw gas -- but will use less fuel and last longer because among other things it's liquid cooled.
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Yanmar Diesel all the way to the bank - reliable - fuel efficient - long life - minimal maintanance - Three cylinder is smoother than the two cylinder, but the advantages of both are way above a gasser.

Thanks, Brad
  10. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

i would for sure go with the 3 cylinder.If you run the 2 cylinder and the 3 side by side you will know why.:) The yanmar is a great engine as you may know that is what is in all the small john deeres.hope this helps!