18' or 20' trailer for mowing??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Durabird02, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

This topic has been discussed before, i'm sure. I am going either this week or next to order my new mowing trailer. I am getting atleast an 18' "Landscape" trailer with front side gate, and 2' expanded metal equipment basket on the front and 2-3500# axles. We currently have a 61" 4500z ferris rider and a 48" quik trac JD, and we will be getting a 32-36" walk behind.

Should I upgrade to the 20'? or will 18' be enough? Waiting on a quote for the extra 2 feet and heavier axles. What would you do?:cool2:

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Go big or go home. 20 footer
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Just go with the 20'. You'll be suprised how quickly you fill it up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub LawnSite Member

20 footer. You will find a way to fill it up!

5. Southern Elegance

Southern Elegance LawnSite Member

20 ft with at least 5000lb axles

6. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I Have a 18ft enclosed with a 60in rider, 48in rider and a 36in walk behind. It fits fine with about 1ft of room on the back but the mowers only go in one way. If you switch up the order the mowers go in, they wont fit. The 20ft would make life easier but the 18 will get the job done.

7. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

I was advised when I bought my trailer, "always buy the next biggest size than you think you will need, you won't regret it". It was good advice for me.

8. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the advice guys, bigger it is!

9. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

Some of you have "size issues".

It's a mowing rig. No wonder you need $45,000 diesel trucks to tow them around. Two 3500 lb. axles would be more than enough for most.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes 3,500lb axles will support the load technically. The issue is that a 5,200lb axle will last much longer under daily use and be more versatile for other uses like a small tractor, or large load of mulch. This could also be easily towed by a used 3/4 ton gas truck bought for less than $10K.