1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

18 volt impact wrench

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, May 1, 2005.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

To those who use it for blade removal. Do you still need to hold the blade to keep it from turning?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The answer is no.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

For those using an 18v impact wrench, is it a standard 1/2" drive? What brands are the ones to be considered? Delta, Milwaukee, or ???
  4. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I would get either dewalt or milwaukee whichever one is cheaper... most of the time milwaukee will be a little cheaper but sometimes more... I would stay away from cheap brands they may work great at first but then they wear out faster and the battery doesnt last as long(even new for some cheap brands).

edit yes most are 1/2"
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My wife got me the only thing I wanted for Christmas last year, a Milwaukee 18v 1/2" CORDLESS impact wrench.

Best thing I've ever been able to keep in the truck.

If I get a flat, I can just pop the wheel up in the air and zip zip zip, off to the shop it goes.

I can change a blade if I bend one without looking for a power outlet anymore.

As for changing the blades, once in a while, you will get one that'll stick on ya, and the impact wrench isn't going to get it off.

Then, you'll have to get the breaker bar out and give it a "gentle" tug. :D
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

try a snap on or a makita or a milwaukee
  8. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

I've got the snap-on, it's awesome. More torque than a lot of the other brands.
  9. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

DeWalt is the leader with 300 Ft lbs. Snap on is 220, or 240 last time I checked.
  10. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

DeWalt is great with 300 ft. lbs. don't know how I got along without it.