18 years old lawn buisness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jpeg lawn maintenance, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello everyone i just graduated high school i had about 4 lawns while in school now that i am out i got about 10 lawns regular and some mulching and odd jobs i am looking for some advise on advertising and other advise i would need coming into the business i have a

48in rh stander new
    15hp lesco wb
    stihl trimmer
    3 push mower toro ryobi craftsman
    stihl hedge trimmers
    6X12 trailer
    1500 dodge ram 4x4

I am open to any advise and what the veterans in the buisness think please help me out i want to make a successful living doing this thanks everyone for your time !

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the site! Best thing to get new work...word of mouth. I also use flyers, direct mail, and I do a refer a friend program for my current customers. There is also phone books and newspapers. Best of luck to you!

3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Letter your truck and uniforms. Door to door while working in a neighborhood works wonders, and don't forget the referral program keeps people talking everyone trust their friends. Phone book, news paper and direct mail are all over rated to cost vs. return.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Great point, I totally forgot about lettering trucks and uniforms. I agree that phone book and newspaper are usually a waste of time, but I think direct mail has it's place as a supplement to fliers. I did a couple a year back and had pretty decent results.

5. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Thanks for your replies guys i am actually working with vista print online now getting shirts and 2 big magnents for my truck so hopefully it works out for me i apprciate your responses i would like to make some friends on here being that i am new !

6. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome, and yes word of mouth is a great way to get new accounts. If I were you, I'd get rid of 2 of those 21''. Keep the Toro.

7. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Thanks kc for the advise and why would u recommend to get rid of 21 inch ?

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Like everyone else said, word of mouth is the best way to get new business. But you can't always rely on just that. The goal in advertising is to get your name out there. You don't have to do anything flashy to start. Just like you are doing now, getting signs on your truck and shirts made out will get you name out there. If you order a few more shirts you can hand them out to your friends and when they wear them, they would basically be advertising for you.

9. Jpeg lawn maintenance

thank you for your time brad i think thats what i am going to do acutally get about 10 shirts made and also the magnets i think this will work so far i would have about 20 lawns but i had to turn down many becuase of being in school still now that i am out of school everyone around my town knows me because my pap was the forman for the borough so i am known its just getting the lawns now thanks for your time i am looking forward to next spring getting alot of things going

10. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

As stated by others word of mouth is best, I have had luck with offering vacation cuts or one time cuts, people realy like that