1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$180 for a three man crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Apr 7, 2008.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I'm hearing that people are getting $60/man/hr. I've been in business for a long time and I've never gotten that kind of money here in Atlanta. These must be California prices? Ant feedback?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

depends on what you're doing and where you are.

up her in nj 60 an hour to run a redmax 8000 is ok with me but if it were one of my 12K Z's with a 3K hasty vac collection system on the back i'd have to say 60 an hour is cheap. 75 or 85 an hour is more like it...and what i get.
  3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

California (la) prices are low from what I've heard. 60 per hour for 1 guy is not that hard here. You lose money per man hour when you add to the crew though (at least for mowing). We don't do 180 with a three man crew---we could do it with three 1 man crews but then you add equipment and fuel expenses plus you're paying three foremen.
  4. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

It just depends where u are. I could never get that where I am either
  5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on your location...the cost of living where your at. Where I'm at if I need 60.00 per man hour (on a 3 man crew) ...something is wrong. Another thing it is real easy to get 60.00 an hour while your typing on your pc...in the field...well that is another story. Be very careful what you believe from reading on this site. There are some that offer good advice...others only offer organic fertilizer.

Good luck, Tony
  6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

WELL SAID :clapping:
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's going to depend on your location, like most have said.

However, you have to read the people's posts here that are doing it as well.

If you want to be bottom feeders like everyone else that comes and goes in this industry, then bid at $40 per man hour.

Pay someone $10 per man hour and an additional $2.50 per man hour for work comp, federal taxes, state taxes, social security and medicare. Pay someone less than that and complain because you're going through 5-10 people per month.

Now each man hour is most likely going to take about .75 gallons of gas for each guy, or 2.25 gallons per hour, and at $3 per gallon, you're already up to $20 in expenses (or 50% of your gross) and you've not even started to calculate insurances, trucks, trailers, equipment, misc expenses, your time to run bids, cell phones, computer to keep track of expenses.

You won't have to worry about paying in taxes at the end of the year, because you'll be operating below poverty.
  8. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I think my biggest concern with this industry is the inconsistency. Again, a person can say that they are charging $100/hr. and then turn around and bid a property for $20 just to say they have the property. I also think they do that to drive your price up and you don't get the job. I've seen it happen. I live in the Atlanta area and there is plenty of money here but, the competition is fierce. Competition controls your cost to a great extent. Sure, I've had yards that took me 45 minutes to cut and I made $50 but that's not every yard and it's not every day. I've also had jobs I maintained for 4 yrs. and they tell me I'm doing a great job and then let me go because they found someone $20 cheaper. At the time I hadn't gone up on their price once and actually thought I was doing it too cheap. I don't understand an industry that charges less when prices are climbing. The equipment isn't getting cheaper-that's for sure!
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You've got the right mentality bravo..... just stick to your guns.

Your posts make it sound like you want this property so bad you're willing to break even on it.

That mentality doesn't make any sense. You can break even sitting at home.

Again, yes, there's inconsistency.

Read back on a couple of my posts a couple of weeks ago. I lost a $13,000 account because the new company was $40 per month cheaper than I was. I've been doing these two properties for this company for 12 years.

I lost a YMCA this year, didn't raise their price, and had donated about $2,700 to them, which was a little more than a $9,000 per year account.

They told me they had to get someone cheaper because it was getting to expensive to run their building. This was after the fact that when I started last year, they were brand new, zero members. Now people have to park on the street because the 300 space parking lot isn't big enough.

Figure out your price that YOU want to make. If you're happy at the end of the year having made $10 per hour, then that's what you bid.

I've said it once, I'm going to sound like I'm trying to beat a dead horse VERY soon to most I'm sure, but you can go work in air conditioning for 40 hours / week at Wal-Mart for $10 per hour.
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

My rate is $50 per man hour for anything we do and if equipment is used there is a charge for that as well. Everything has a charge for its use whether it be man or machine.