1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

18HP Honda Fastrak won't start

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mow4It, May 14, 2010.

1. Mow4It

Mow4It LawnSite Member

I have two 18HP Honda / 44" Fastrak mowers. Both have about 250hrs each. I bought them one month apart, 6 years ago. The first one I bought has never given me a bit of trouble. The second one has been going through fits of not starting intermittently for the past two years. I can mow with it for an hour, shut it off and it won't restart 30 minutes later. Sometimes it will run a day, sit for 3-5 days and won't start. When I say it won't restart, it cranks fine, fires, but will not run. I don't believe it is a safety switch issue. Any ideas?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hmmm....
    The first thing I think about with the model Honda engines you have is to check the carb vent line, dirt dobbers like to get in there / debris, if the vent line is plugged up it cant run properly and could cause it to not start.
    Remove your air filter and housings and take a look at the carburetor you will see a plastic line coming off it that goes no where, remove that line and check it for obstruction.

Pj

3. Mow4It

Mow4It LawnSite Member

Ok, checked the line and it is clear. I'm leaning toward some type of electrical problem but not the coil. It will start and run fine 10 times then the next it won't start. It's a head scratcher.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

In your first post you said "When I say it won't restart, it cranks fine, fires, but will not run."

"fires" made me think it ran, but not good.
    Does it run? or not run at all? or crappy running?

Pj

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

intermittent safety switch gone bad with a loose ground wire?

6. Mow4It

Mow4It LawnSite Member

Won't run at all. I should have said the plugs are firing but will not start and run.

7. Mow4It

Mow4It LawnSite Member

I've checked them all and they show good even when it won't start. Also checked the grounds. It's definitely a phantom something! Drives me crazy.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hmmmm...
    Compression is good on the cylinders?
    I am still leaning towards fuel / carburetor....

9. Mow4It

Mow4It LawnSite Member

Compression is good. It has to be electrical or fuel. Running great everytime this week. Thanks for your help. I'll be back when it won't start again.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok.
    Let us know.

Pj