18hp or 20hp on FasTrak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Go_Tribe, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Go_Tribe

Go_Tribe LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'm considering purchasing a 52in. Huslter FasTrak. But now I need to decide if I should go with the 18hp or 20hp model. Considerations:
    1) Mowing approx. 1.5 acre, flat.
    2) It's going to have a 230 lb. load, namely me. Does that matter?
    3) Can I pull a roller with the FasTrak? If so, should that make a big difference in my decision on which engine?
    4) Will the 20hp last longer than the 18hp, all other things being equal?

In a nutshell, is the price difference worth it?

Thanks for the replies.
    Go_Tribe.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will notice the difference the most this time of year in heavy spring growth.
    Also if you think you will be adding a bagger now or later the extra hp will come in handy.
    As far as your weight, it will not be a problem, I know this, I weigh more than you do, and I have no problems at all.
    There is no problem towing a roller, the unit has a hitch to hook it up to already, the 20hp may help if you were going up hills, but your land is flat so it wont make that much of a difference there.
    The 20 and the 18 will last just as long as each other.
    1 thing to consider is.......I have never had anyone tell me they wish they had less hp.......It may be a better choice to have the extra hp just in case.
    Either way you are getting the best residential ZTR on the market.

Hope this helps
    Pj

3. Go_Tribe

Go_Tribe LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Help needed again. I'd like to demo a 20-52 FasTrak. I've been looking at a local dealer (Franklin Tractor Sales, Columbus, OH) and they do not have a demo mower available. Something about not having enough money in the mowers they have (???) Do you have any recommendations? I've been checking out other dealers in the vicinity, but this one is the closest.
    I'd really like to try this particular model out.

Second, what would you recommend for blades? I've heard you say to go with the Gators if using a mulching kit. But how do they work w/o the mulching kit? Do they mulch to some degree? If they do a pretty good job w/o the kit, I may just consider going with the blades. I don't have a good deal of concern with the clippings - it's a country lot.

Any other options that I should consider on this model?
    Thanks again.

Go_Tribe

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me @ hustlerturfequipment@msn.com about your dealer and demo information, I will take care of that for you.

As for Gators, they work well in all types of grass and conditions, they will cut very well without the mulch kit also.
    They will shred the grass more even without the mulch kit.

As far as other options go, you mention it is a country lot, if it a bumpy ride you may want to consider the optional seat spring kit, this will give you a much better ride over rougher terrain.

Hope this helps
    Pj

5. Old Pa

Old Pa LawnSite Member

Add another vote for the Fastrak seat spring kit and the Gator mulching blades. The only thing that works better than the Gators with the mulching kit is mowing to sane heights at reasonable intervals. And why not? My 18/44 cut my mowing time frome 2hrs20min to 50mins! I also added the engine time clock; the frame is cut for it and the electrical harness preterminated for plug-in installation.