18HP Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cut 2 Please, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Walker 18hp with the 42" GHS deck. I love it so far. I demoed the 52" mulch deck on it for about 3 days last week and it seemed to work good. A little more power would be nice with this deck. I was told that the 20hp kohler and the 18hp were the same engine just the 18hp is detuned. Does anyone know if this is true and if anything can be done to turn the power up on the 18hp to make it a 20hp?

2. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

I got the 18hp myself, and my dealer told me the samething about it being same as 20 but he told me it had a smaller carb.

3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 20hp Walker, a 22hp Scag and a 18 hp Toro All Kohlers

the 20 is horizontal the others vert. All have the same displacement. ed

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

My Walker has the 26 hp EFI Kohler on it. Never lacked for power that I can see.

I see they are coming out with a 29 hp EFI liquid cooled this year. WOW, that's going to be a beast.

5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Ive had the 20HP and now have the 26HP.....I hate to tell you this but you will regret not getting more HP. But the one you have is a great machine, but with a 52 mulch deck I would have got more HP.

6. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

The main reason I went with the 18hp is I will be using this mower for bagging. I have a 61" Ferris 3000 and a 48" Ferris walk behind for larger yards that don't have to be bagged. I could not justify spending the extra money on the 26hp. It was a tough decision but it came down to whether I could justify the extra $1700 for the 26hp. So far I have not regreted my decision. I have not bought the 52" deck yet and do not know if I will. I did like it but I do not know if it will be real practical with the other equipment that I already have.