1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

19/48 Tiger Cub Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowinforaliving, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

If and when I ever have to replace the engine on my Scag Tiger Cub, is it possible to go with something bigger than the 19 Kaw? Also, does anyone know how much a new 19 Kaw would cost? Just shoot from the hip and give me something ball park. Would 2 grand be a reasonable guess?
  2. spooln6

spooln6 LawnSite Member
    from OK

When I had a Hustler mini Z with the 19hp Kawi I was looking for more power. I started looking at the differences between it and the other Kawi engines and it had the same specs as the 25hp Kawi on the Super Z. I think just a jet change will get you more power. Maybe a dealer could hook you up with the right jets b/c its the same displacement.
  3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably a different cam, maybe bigger carb throat.

Yes, you can install a larger engine.
  4. jathames

jathames LawnSite Member

I am considering the 19/48 setup and will run a mulching kit most of the time.. is it a good setup or not?????
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

About 90% of the time the engine mounts are the same spacing on most mowers and motors. The only problems you might run into is the output shaft size, length and cicumfrence. Just do your homework before you go out and buy a motor. The only other problem you might run into is the wiring harness from the mower to the motor, but usually you can work around it.

If your mechanically incline, it should be a cake-walk.
  6. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

The 19/48 with mulch kit is a good setup, yes. It does make it bog down in thick, wet, 4 and 5 inch grass, but it is fine. Leaves a beautiful cut.