19.9 avergae MPG, HOLY S***

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so i went to the cape for the day, because my mom and brother are down there for the week, so i decided it was a good excuse to take the day off from work. it's roughly 3.5-4 hours each way, depending on how well i obey the speed limit. On the way down, i used cruise control the entire time(70 MPH) which kept me right up with the traffic, and i had the windows up and the A/C off. i only used about a 1/4 tank. I was freaking amazed when i filled up at the cape and calculated my average MPG, 19.94!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :)

i usually only get like 15 at the most, but that's around town driving. this was the first long trip i had made with this truck, and was pleasantly surprised. while at the cape, i used up about a 1/4 tank of fuel driving around, and driving in 4-hi, with deflated tires on the beach.(i aired them back up to 65 PSI when i was finished with the sand driving) on the way home however, i decided i was gonna enjoy the long drive a little more than on the way there. i had the windows down(rear slider open too) and didn't use cruise control, i used almost double the fuel that i had used going down. when it was all said and done, i put 658 miles on the truck in just over 15 hours, and averaged 16.2 MPG for the entire trip, which isn't bad, considering what i was doing.

***oh by the way, does anyone know of any good places to off road at the cape that don't require paying $50 for a permit?

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ummm... how could you stand windows up/ac off? I think I would like die...I use my AC a LOT (in both trucks, now that my AC works in my Chevy).

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Yea, really, it must has stunk in there when you got there. He might have used the air, just not the a/c.. still hotttt

4. mike lane lawn care

yea, i had the blower on, just not the A/C, it didn't get too bad in there, just was a heck of a lot nicer on he way home.

5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i watch the instant fuel guage in my truck and when traveling 70 when i kick on the a/c it drops 1.5-2mpg instantly

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

air temp, octane of fuel

7. mike lane lawn care

it was about 80 degrees out, and running 87 octane.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you running Load Range D or E tires? I am assuming you are talking about the GMC 1500 4x4. 65 psi is a lot for regular light truck tires, but I bet it would make for some stellar gas mileage.

9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Would also ride like crap. I would rather be "not sweaty" than get 19.9 mpg vs. 17-18, which I got with my '03 5.3 Chevy.

10. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had the windows down(rear slider open too) and didn't use cruise control, i used almost double the fuel that i had used going down.

At highway speeds having the windows down uses approx. the same amount of fuel as having the AC on. :cry: So why not keep cool. :blob2:

By the way what was the ocean temp at the cape?