19 hp B & S engine speed problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by deere-crazy-1, Apr 23, 2006.

1. deere-crazy-1

deere-crazy-1 LawnSite Member

I have a 19 hp Briggs & Stratton that just started speeding up while I was mowing without moving the throttle. At half throttle it is running about as fast as it used to run with the throttle at full speed. Any ideas what the problem is?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like one of two things, The throttle cable slid in the hold down or the governor needs to be adjusted. Check the cable first then post back for the gov. adjustment if needed.

3. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Hmm... sure hope the governor gear didn't give up.

4. deere-crazy-1

The cable seems to be tight and the gov. seems to be working. I think the gov lever might have slipped on the shaft. What is the proper procedure for adjusting the gov.?

5. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

loosen the arm on the governor shaft. hold the carb wide open, and twist the governor shaft the opposite direction all the way. tighten it up. i would absolutely check for proper RPM under no load after doing this. 3600. if you dont have a tach, get one...its cheap and good to have.

6. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

" hold the carb wide open, and twist the governor shaft the opposite direction all the way"

NO! Turn the governor shaft the SAME direction that you twist the gov lever to hold butterfly open. With the engine NOT RUNNING.

7. oldrustycars

my bad....you're right. i twist the shaft gently both ways, so that it moves freely in the arm, so you can feel it stop in both directions. thanks for the catch.

8. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

No problem.

My ears always perk up when someone is getting instructions on governor adjustment. I have seen too many engines "singing" because someone was "adjusting" or had "adjusted" a governor.

:drinkup:

9. deere-crazy-1

Thanks for your help, I'm waiting for a tach and time to work on it.

10. oldrustycars

briggs and stratton part # 19200, its about 23 bucks now. also consider the Tinytach that Restrorob did a post on recently, they stay on the machine, and include an hour meter. that would be best, then you'll always know your service intervals.