19 HP Kaw kills 2 seconds after hard time starting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm having a little engine trouble (19HP Kaw) and I need to mow wednesday, so I'd highly appreciate any info! Well, I was out mowing and about 2 seconds after I finished cutting a residential, it just killed, I hadn't even throttled down and killed the blades yet, I thought I just ran out of gas in my left tank, so I tried the right and it didn't work, so I checked fuel and right was full and left was about 3/4 full, so that wasn't it. I had the same trouble with it a week ago, but I thought it was bad fuel, so I drained the tanks and put good fuel in it and put new fuel filter on it (just in case) and after a lot of tinkering it was back up and running!. Now it has the same exact symptoms as last week. The symptoms are: It is very hard to start and when it does, it kills after about 2 seconds. While it runs for those 2 seconds, it sounds just fine (runs good), however when I pour a little gas directly into the carbeurator (take off air filter and pour in) it starts RIGHT after that ( as opposed to a usual difficult time getting started) but it still kills after 2 seconds. If I keep pouring a little gas in the carbeurator after I get it started, I can keep it running ( as long as I keep doing so). I suspect it's the fuel pump maybe. I was going to take it to my dealer today, but he was closed ( probably due to excessive rain lately) so I'll try again tommorow, but would like your input in case I can't get in touch with him.

Thank you very much!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It does sound like it's running out of gas. Pull the spark plug out (it makes it easier to pull or crank) and disconnect the fuel line at the carb. Put the loose end of the fuel line into a can or something and turn the engine over. It should pump gas. If it does not then put the line back on the carb and remove the line from the gas tank side of the fuel pump. If fuel flows well then you have a bad pump. If it does not then there is a blockage somewhere between the pump and tank. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but is the vent open and unclogged on the tank? If the vent is closed or clogged up then this would allow the engine to run for varying periods of time depending on how much fuel is in the tank.

3. Vibe Ray

Interesting.... I am lost, what is this vent you speak of? I have a Lazer HP.

Let me also mention that I had tried what you are talking about when I had this trouble last week and the gas came out fine before and after the pump (?, I know!) , however, I have yet to check it after this last occurence. It's in the van and a little hard to work on right now. One question, when I disconnected the fuel line after the fuel pump, the fuel came out in spurts, (while trying to start). Is this normal?

4. Vibe Ray

Don't mind me.....just amkin' sure everyone takes a look.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Vibe Ray wrote:
    Interesting.... I am lost, what is this vent you speak of? I have a Lazer HP.

One question, when I disconnected the fuel line after the fuel pump, the fuel came out in spurts, (while trying to start). Is this normal?

The vent is usually in the fuel cap. Try driving around a while with the caps loose. Also, does your HP have a fuel tank selection switch? Does it only do this on one tank or both?

It is perfectly normal for the fuel to pulse out of the fuel pump. Your engine uses a diaphram fuel pump.

6. Vibe Ray

Took it in and it was the ignition switch (what you put the key into). Glad it was something small!

7. steve

steve LawnSite Member

Probably a Fuel Shut-off Solenoid. Its the piece right below the carb, with the wires hooked to it!

Here's a picture below you can see where the wires are.

[​IMG]

8. steve

steve LawnSite Member

9. Vibe Ray

Right when I took it to dealer, that was his first guess. I guess in a way it was the fuel shut off solenoid cuz the ignotion switch was tellin' the solenoid to shutoff, so you were right steve!