19 HP Kawasaki FH601V engine hp upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clif, May 19, 2010.

1. Greyhorse

Greyhorse LawnSite Member

I will be adding the oil cooler for sure, just kind of confused about the main jet, multiples are listed for the different hp ratings on partstree A,B,C,D,E etc., I'm wondering what the differences are in them? Maybe just for different altitudes, they do have a # with ft after most of them. I think I'll just do it and pull the plugs after a few hours to see what they look like.

2. clif

clif LawnSite Member

Good idea - I'll pull out mine next oil change to see what we have....

3. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

To bad you did'nt post two weeks ago I just put a new 25hp carb on my 19hp.The old carb had a bad float valve seat and would not stop gas flow.I would have dropped the float bowl and checked.

4. clif

clif LawnSite Member

You know if the two carbs do have different main jets (and throttle shafts of course) and you didn't want to take any chances you could change out the whole carb for around $300 or so and keep the old one as a spare, it's still probably cheaper this way than paying the extra markup at the dealer for basically the same result. Oh yea - & I bought that overpriced 25hp sticker for mine also besides swapping shafts =)

5. duckwood

duckwood LawnSite Member

Well I have a related question to this thread. My engine is tagged as an FH601V-BS28-R

On all the parts sites it always skips from BS27 to BS29 for the 601. For the others, BS28 is listed.

I didn't see any difference between BS29 and BS27 related to the shaft part#, so I figure it should work for me. Any thoughts on this?

Also, has anyone actually confirmed or not any difference in jets?

Thanks!

6. Greyhorse

Greyhorse LawnSite Member

I installed everything and all seems well, I'm about 99% sure the jets are the same. What a differnce in power when I get into thick stuff, no more bogging down at 2 mph and then having to go back over it anyway!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. duckwood

duckwood LawnSite Member

Greyhorse

did you install the shaft for 721 then?

Cheers
    duckwood
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. stankers

stankers LawnSite Member

I've read this thread awhile back and was ready to do this upgrade when I realized I think this only works for engines that already the heavy duty/donaldson type air filters. It looks like the jets in my fh601v-as21 would all need to be upgraded compared to the fh721v-as21. DEVISTATING!!!!

Would it be worth upgrading to the donaldson style filter and buying new jets? It would probably be over $350 in parts, but it would be 6hp.

Any thoughts? Thanks
    Steve

9. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

No need for the Donaldson air filter though it would be nice to have.The only diff.is the throttle shaft and oil cooler.

10. stankers

stankers LawnSite Member

Thats what I thougt, but after comparing model numbers they have different injectors. It must have something to do with the amount of air that the donaldson style filter pulls.
    Posted via Mobile Device