19 HP Kawasaki FH601V engine hp upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clif, May 19, 2010.

1. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

I just finished putting a 25hp throttle shaft in my 19hp.
    I couldn't tell any difference! It has been a while since I ran this mower.
    With the engine at full throttle, I looked at the linkage on the throttle shaft and it is not going all the way to the stop. I set the thottle to idle and it went to the adjustment screw.
    Is there some throttle cable or governor adjustments that need done?

2. ttstockdogs

ttstockdogs LawnSite Member

Mark2,
    When you tightened the throttle plates were they closed. It is important to make sure they are centered in the bores before tightening the screws? When you finished did the throttle plates open a full 90 degrees to the bores? Which series engine are you working on?

You should not have to change anything! If you put everything back together properly and have the right shaft it should idle the same and top end RPM should be the same. You also won't notice any difference until you put it under load.

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Man, I'm gonna have to try this.
    Just a shaft is all that's needed?

4. Max88

Max88 LawnSite Member
    from Denmark

Hi there
    I am very happy with this forum, amazing what i can learn. I have a small business in Denmark/Europe.

I would be very happy with help to convert my kawasaki 17 hp FH541V-BS52-M with Engine no FH541VA96293 to a FX600V with 17hp

And my brand new FX801V to a FX850V in My Husqvarna PZ29 ( American quality build i hope)

I almost can't beleave its just a matter of one little shaft thats all the difference.

Best regards
    Max

5. Max88

Max88 LawnSite Member
    from Denmark

I meant from 17 to 19 hP

6. Max88

Max88 LawnSite Member
    from Denmark

It looks like the FX541V and FX600V have identical shaft throttle no 16041 7018
    And the my FX801V (16041-7042) needs the 18041-7025 to become a FX850V
    Would appreciate any help !
    Max

7. sae185628

sae185628 LawnSite Member

I have a Z910A with motor FX561V-AS02-R and have been wanting to get more power. What part # did you get? Why did you only gain 23.5 and not to 25hp? Is it because you did not get the oil cooler?

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. sae185628

sae185628 LawnSite Member

I was a little dislexic, I meant FX651V

10. bfcg

bfcg LawnSite Member
    from ny

Well it has been 20 hours of run time since I rebuilt my engine and at the same time upgraded the throttle shaft from 19 to 25 hp. Engine running strong and it did not fly apart the way my local shop told me it would within 2 or 3 hours. The local guy made me feel sheepish about ordering parts after I would not allow him to talk me into a new engine. I have hills and a rear collection bag system so the upgrade in HP is very noticable. Thanks to all on this site for your help and encouragement. This upgrade would go totally un-noticed by any shop doing warranty repair so I would not even pay the extra $$ for the 25hp new, I would just buy a mower with the 19 and then add the shaft and the oil cooler myself for the $60.00 and 1 hr that it takes to install.