19 HP Kawasaki FH601V engine hp upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clif, May 19, 2010.

1. lildevil_66

lildevil_66 LawnSite Member

I am not doubting PistonSlapper at all. I know he is a mechanic and has alot of experience on his side. I was just wanting to get a second opinion from my mechanic before proceeding with the governor adjustment. I can already tell an improvement in the engine when the blades are engaged or going up a hill while cutting. I checked the rpms and they where still at factory setting or just below. (5776rpms). If I adjust the governor will it not increase my WOT to where ever the butterflies stop it. I would guess above 6500rpms. If so, this would be bad for the motor. Trust me, I am not being hardheaded here, just overly cautious since it is mowing season and I can't afford to be down. I read in previous post how to adjust the governor and I will read over that again before I give that a shot. I just didn't want to over rev the engine and cause damage. I appreciate Piston's patience with me and the help he has provided. I just know for the inexperienced the governor adjustment is kind of intimidating, at least for me. Again, Thanks for the help...and I'll have a drink!

2. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

The governors job is to actually keep the motor from over reving and to try to maintain a constant rpm under load.You take the gov out of the motor and it can sling itself to self destruction.If the motor dosent see a load while running the gov pulls the butterflies back off of wide open throttle.Your rpms shouldn't be reading 6500rpm but more like 3650/3750 .If you are seeing 6500 rpm your tach may be on the wrong setting .If it is seeing 6500 you will be replacing the motor soon.The gov adjustment alone shouldn't move the rpm.Now if you loosen the throttle linkage plate and move it up or down yes you increase your rpm as that is how rpm adjustment is done on that engine .Hope this helps:waving:

3. lildevil_66

lildevil_66 LawnSite Member

Sorry my numbers were wrong. It's been a long day. My WOT was 3527rpms and low idle was around 1400. I am going to adjust the governor today as stated in the manual. Lift the linkage to open throttle and turn the governor shaft counterclockwise and retighten. Seems pretty simple. I think I will run by the parts house and pick up a tach and set the max rpm's up just a bit since they are running on the low side. As far as I know the max has never been adjusted from factory. Yea...6500, they would be calling me Piston Slapper for sure. :laugh: I will report back when I get it done. Again, thanks for all the help

4. vistalawncarega

vistalawncarega LawnSite Member

Adjusting the governor is something you should do right away in my estimation also.
    You definitely want to keep the engine from over reving!

5. dnrsslr

dnrsslr LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Just curious about fuel efficiency: My 19HP, FH601V seems to be kind of a gas hog already. If I change the throttle shaft to 23HP, will that use a significant greater amount of gas? Or, doesn't anyone care about the amount of gas used as long as we can get more HP?

6. finneylawns

finneylawns LawnSite Member

I recently changed my throttle shaft on my 20.5hp to increase it to 23.5hp. My fuel consumption was 0.6 hours per gallon. Since making the change my fuel consumption is 0.8 hours per gallon. The grass is not as is not as thick now as it was earlier in the year, due to a lack of rain. So that could have some effect on the decrease in fuel consumption.

I am also able to mow at a fast pace, due to the increase hp. So productivity has increased.

I think that it is a very worth the change.

7. ddbaron

ddbaron LawnSite Member

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'd like to perform this upgrade on a JD GX255. The Kaw engine model is FH601V-FS15-R. It's an internally vented carb.

The parts are not listed on partstree, nor anywhere else for that matter. Any idea if there is an equivalent model that works?

8. dnrsslr

dnrsslr LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

See the post by Clif at the top of page 14. He lists the part numbers to go to 23 hp. I am buying the oil cooler and having a mechanic friend grind the shaft for me.

9. ddbaron

ddbaron LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pointer, yet I notice Clif references the FH680V-DS22 which matches the FH601V-DS22.

My engine is the FH601V-FS15-R - the problem I have is that none of the sites list the parts for this particular sub-model.

So I'm wondering if there is one that is equivalent I could use - perhaps the DS22 would be a match but I can't find any evidence of it...

10. dnrsslr

dnrsslr LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I don't know much about the "sub numbers" but it seems like those are small peripheral differences Kawasaki did for each specific application. I think there should be a way to find out what each of these mean but I have been unable to find it. I have kind of assumed the main engine (and hopefully these carburetor parts) will be the same through all the "sub numbers".

Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY a mechanic; I just enjoy a little tinkering sometimes.