19 HP Kawasaki KAI engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trajan3, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Trajan3

Trajan3 LawnSite Member

I am really new to the business and I am just purchasing my commercial equipment. I have looked at Exmark, Toro Commercial, Scag and Hustler. The Scag Tiger Cub seems to be the most durable in my price range and the next is the exmark Lazer HP. (I like the all steel greasable spindles of the Scag). Both have a 19 hp kawasaki. I am moving up from residential equipment I have used in the past. My question is does a Kawasaki 19hp KAI engine have enough power to handle most mowing situations? All of my current accounts are residential and one is 2 acres with lots of trees, leaves, and rolling uneven terrain. Until now, I have been using a residential MTD 16.5 hp Briggs single cylinder (no jokes please) and a decent 21", 6.75 hp Craftsman self propelled with bagger. I just don't want to make a mistake and buy something that won't cut quickly, smoothly and mulch grass and leaves. 19 isn't much higher than 16.5. The dealer says "don't be fooled by the HP number on the engine." Will the 19 hp be able to run through Tifway 419 bermuda and leave a golf course fairway look? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 19 HP big block kawi on my zt-219 and its great. Sips gas and has enough power to cut grass up to 6 inchs at full speed. High grass you will need to slow down however even up to a foot it won't bog down to bad. If you do all weekly accounts you should be fine, if your mowing overgrown fields a little more HP might be good.

Also Scag>Exmark IMO. I went with bobcat over exmark and scag for the following reasons. When I went to the exmark that tried to sell me a POS Phazer for $10300. The lazer HP with a 19 HP was $11999. I almost went with a scag tiger cub but it was $1000 more then my ZT-219 which is a full size Z. I got it for $9300!

Cheers
    jeff

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

First off, the Phazer is not a POS & second of all that dealer is out of their mind, that's just too d@mn much $$$. At that price, that's equal to almost $9K US. I paid just over $5K US for my Phazer. To get back on topic the 19 is a good engine and on my Phazer I can go through almost anything and not have it bog, but if you can get a little more HP go for it.

Rob

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

First Phazer = home owner affordability and was a POS for the price compared to the bobcat. Im sure its a fine and dandy mower but not compared to the full size bobcat for the same price. Second Canada = Expensive. I doubt you will find it much cheaper anywhere else in Canada.

5. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

The Scag Tiger Cub is one of the most proven mowers in existence. As for the 19 Kawasaki, its one of the most proven engines... Definately the ones with the HD filter kits. Big block or KAI series Kaw, doesn't matter. I hate to give it to the Japanese but they build a better engine that we do. hurts to even say it...:cry: You won't know what to do with the extra juice. A 19 kaw will run circles around a 26 hp Briggs, not to mention a 16.5

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The 19HP Kai would be the FH580V. It is a smaller engine than what you have Xoopiter. Your engine is the FH601V. Both 19HP, but the FH580 is 585cc while the FH601 is 675cc.

7. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

And the majority of them are built here in the US, great dealer support, from personal experience they have taken care of issues even past the warranty period in some instances. I only fix equipment don't run any commercially but if I did I would only use Kawi(just my personal opinion:) ).

8. Trajan3

Trajan3 LawnSite Member

I went back to check the units and you are correct pugs. The tiger cub and lazer Hp both have the FH580 engine. It is not the FH601 which is also a 19 hp. How much of a difference is there between a 19 hp (585cc) and a 19 hp (675cc)? Will the 585cc get bogged down when bagging or mulching? It appears from the other comments that the bigger 675cc works pretty good.

9. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

The Tiger Cub will do fine bagging or mulching with the 19 hp Kaw. I have seen this engine on larger decks also.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I honestly do not know as I have not had any of the newer 19's in for service or sold any that I have had the chance to try out.

They must work ok, because everyone is using them in applications that used to have the older 19HP in it...

Yah, the Kawasaki engines are at least assembled in the USA...some of the parts are made here too. I dont think they say the engine is built here, but they do have stamps on them saying they are "assembled" here at least.

Heck, Honda assembles or builds its CHEAP line of engines here...the GC series. I do not understand how that works...but whatever.