19 HP Kawasaki starter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tharrell, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Took my starter off because it sounded like it was dragging. I tried to boost it thinking the battery was discharged but, it seems like a starter problem.
    The gear is stuck at the top. Anybody got a fix? Tony

19 Kawasaki starter 002.jpg

19 Kawasaki starter 003.jpg

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Put a couple drops of oil in the top bushing and a little on the worm gear, Then pop the plastic cap off the end and blow all the dust out of the cap and end where the spring is. Put a deep socket over the shaft but small enough so not to touch the drive teeth and lightly tap it back down. Clean and lube the shaft/spring area then bench test it to make sure it no longer hangs up.

Dirt/dust is my guess for it hanging up.

Don't over do it with the oil, Too much could cause it to slip instead of spinning the engine over.

3. Tharrell

Does the cap just pop off, do I need to use something to pry it off? I can't seem to pull it off with just my hand. Tony

4. Restrorob

Tony,

They are on there pretty good after getting hot and cold so many times, It's gonna take some prying to get it off but try to save it if possible.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Those starter don't seem to be designed very well....what is your opinion. That plastic piece below the gear wears out and then it drops too far into the armature and won't pick. I didn't know you could get the cap off? If it comes off then can you replace that gear and plastic stop>?

6. Tharrell

I can't get the cap off but, I was able to get the gear down by tapping it a little. I did a google search and came up with a Lawnsite archive thread about the same thing.
    I think I saw the upper parts on J-Thomas, if I could only get the cap off to do a little cleaning and some lube. Tony
    I'm off to do some work today and I'll tinker with it when I get home this evening.

19 Kawasaki starter.jpg

7. Restrorob

Ed, These starters have given me less trouble than Briggs or Kohler's of this same style. There is no plastic on this drive assembly other than the top cap. The last part in the break-down is black aluminum and it causes friction on the rubber part on the bottom of the gear. Yes, The rubber part wears and gets hard after some years then causes the drive to slip once it engages with the flywheel.

The largest thing I have seen with this drive assembly is dust/dirt build-up in the drive gear that causes it to hang up.

As you and Tony can see you can get a complete drive assembly kit pretty cheap if you do have to cut the top cap off, Once you get one off you will see how it's held in place and understand how heat making the plastic hard adds to the grief of removing one.

One last thing, When replacing this starter drive assembly the retaining ring holding the assembly on the shaft is no piece of cake to remove either. Also, When installing the new retaining ring you don't want to spread it open too far because it must fit down inside the top cap retainer.

[​IMG]

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Rob....thanks for the detailed info and diagrams.

9. Restrorob

No Problem........[​IMG]

10. Tharrell

Thanks for the info. Maybe you can give me some tips on how to TRY to get the cap off in one piece!!!
    I tried some vice grips and a rag wrapped around it but it didn't work so I just put the vice grips on there bare. I put just enough pressure on it to scratch it a little when the grips slipped off.
    By the way, is that diagram from J-Thomas?
    Also, is that retaining ring, a snap ring by chance? If so, I'll probably pull out the Bowie knife and just buy a new assembly!!!