19 hp Kawasaki- to use synthetic oil or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dalethebuilder, Oct 13, 2008.

1. dalethebuilder

dalethebuilder LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Exmark Lazer Z hp with 46" cut and 19 hp Kawasaki engine.
    The owners manual suggests changing the oil after the first 5 hours of use.
    Should I consider using a synthetic instead of regular oil? If so, What brand of
    synthetic is best? If I stay with regular oil, which brand is the best?
    I appreciate the expert advise I get from this forum. As they say, "The pros
    know best"
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't change over to synthetic until you have atleast 75hrs on engine. A big no no. Check with your dealer tech to confirm. After break in use 10W 30 fully Syn

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Your machine already has synthetic in the motor, change the oil & FILTER. Mobile 1 Synthetic 10W 30 is what you need to buy.

4. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the Kaw did not have Hyro Lifters??, Better check! If so I dont think you are suppose to use 10W-30. Maybe the old ones??

5. djchiodo3

If you change over to fully syn before engine is broke in you can damage engine. We are not talking about hydo's or pumps we are talking about engine oil.

6. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hydraulic Lifters!! Take a different weight oil!!

7. djchiodo3

The last two mowers I purchased had Kaw. engines. They did not come from factory with syn oil. in engines.

8. loneryder

loneryder LawnSite Member

Change the oil and filter after 5-10 hrs and put Mobil 1 10w-30. That's what I have always run in my mowers. I run Mobil 1 in everything from cars to motorcycles. You can't go wrong.

9. djchiodo3

I would not use syn oil in this mower until you have spoken with the dealer tech where you bought this mower. Ever exmark I have purchased I was told not to use syn oil until the engine is broke in. This included Briggs, Kaw, and Kohlor(Toro) Don't take a chance on voiding your warranty by listing to us.

10. underPSI

underPSI LawnSite Member

This is total B.S.! Synthetic oil will not hurt an engine regardless of miles. And get this, you can switch back to conventional to synthetic and back to conventional again and again if you want to and nope that won't hurt the engine either. Another myth about synthetic oil that has been busted; it does not cause leaks! The leak myth got started when people put it in their engine and shortly there after developed an oil leak. What they fail to realize is they already had a leak and the crappy conventional oil just wasn't reaching it!
    I run synthetic in all my engines from day 1. If synthetic caused harm during break-in, why does many automobile manufactures choose Mobil1 as a factory-filled oil?