19 HP KAWI Re-build

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ky-lawn-guy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I have a 19hp Kawi KAI on one of my Exmark Turf Tracers. It is about 3.5 years old and probably has about 1200-1500 hours one it. The engine still starts as soon as you bump the key and runs perfect but it is burning a little oil and leaking a little oil. I was wondering if they make some sort of rebuild kit for this engine? I figured I just needed to change all the gaskets to stop the leaks. I was thinking i could squeeze another year or so out of it before I replaced the engine. Any info on fixing the problem would be appreciated.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would just see about replacing maybe the valve cover gasket, I think that's about all you can do,
    when engines with that many hours still run as good as you describe I wouldn't recommend tearing into it.
  3. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Usually the oil leak on those is out of the breather gasket, no need to pull the engine. If you are only looking to get another year out of it I would just live with the burning oil and oil leak. Not worth doing a rebuild at that point
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I'd suggest taking the shroud off, spray it down with a degreaser like Super Kleen then power wash thoroughly. I would do this particularly if you don't know the source of the leak. Topsites and Mowerknower are spot on but another source is a pan gasket leak and in my experience, they most frequently occur under one of the heads--rarely on the side. Another popular leak is the governor shaft seal but it is normally quite apparent, particularly if it has a deck to drip on.