19 KAW blows out

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by launboy, Jun 3, 2006.

1. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Lawncare buddy of mine just bought a brand new tiger cub w/ 19 kaw, 107 hrs. He calls bout mid day and says the engine blew up. me=??????? I went to see it, on the sides of the engine below the shroud a gapeing hole. He said he made one stripe and then an explosion and a big plume of smoke. I asked him if checked the oil, he said yes every morning. i want to know what the heck could cause the engine to that. If it was out oil wouldn't it just lock up and make nasty sounds? any opinions. Good thing for warranties

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 2004 Tiger Cub that has a 19 Kawasaki and have not had any problems. A friend of mine has a Turf Tiger and it blew a gasket at 300hrs. There was oil everywhere and he thought the engine was blown up. He took it to our Scag dealer, got the gasket replaced and it was like new.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Gaping hole in the shroud? Sounds like it threw a rod; not to common on new kawasaki's.

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Bet the crank shattered. I hear Kaws had a big problem with there crank tempering process. Id take a Briggs Vanguard over a Kaw anyday. Just from my experience :hammerhead:

5. launboy

from indiana

dealer said he heard of this happening with a briggs never on a kaw. the hole is below the shroud on the metal, the actual body of the engine.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It could be any reason, maybe it was mowing an incline from days ago that did the damage, maybe it was low on oil a week ago that did the damage, there's no telling other than I am 100 percent certain this engine was running a conventional motor oil, doesn't matter what brand or how often it was changed.

Now you can continue to blow engines or listen to my experience.

I blew a nice 17hp Kohler my first year and had to replace it with a 13hp Briggs because of money (on a 52" Wb), and a friend told me he blew 2 engines in 7 years before he switched to synth and that maybe I would be smart and listen...
    I did, I switched to synthetic blend and haven't had an issue since (this is my 5th year)... I now change my oil once / year and check it maybe once / month because it's that good, I can run my engines upside down so long it has fuel going to it.

So, switch to some form of synthetic oil (blend or full) and watch all your oil related problems disappear.
    Guaranteed!

You guys can argue with me, but I keep telling you lol

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No, I will not argue with you cause......

I know you can't fix stupid!:laugh:

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry tops, That engine didn't blow because it didn't have synthetic oil in it. ;)
    There is a reason and a good Service Technician can inspect it and find the reason.
    Being a auto and small engine Tech. all my life, I will stick to using my Castrol as have for many many years.
    To each his own....

9. launboy

from indiana

conventional oil was not the problem. i have been running scags all with kaws on them for 9.5 years and have never used synthetic. i really dont think it was oil type (synthetic or conventional) that caused it. But who knows, when it gets back from the shop i'll post the diagnosis.

10. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I`ll tell you why it blew. Its a Kawasucki.Them dam thing are worst then the dam Tecumseh junk. I would go with a Kohler or briggs and be done with it.I had two blow and i always checked the oil and changed it every 2 months. I said screw this im going with briggs or kohler.