19 kaw. has oil in carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 27, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a JD 717 with a 19 kaw. that ever since brand new has had oil in carb every time I pull air filter (every day) to clean it. I run mobile 1 10-30 syn, oil and I am very picky about taking care of my equipment. The dealer has said that is was normal (2 dealers) for there to be some oil in carb. I dont buy this BS just wanted to ask other folks with the 19 Kaw. if they had this problem?

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care

2. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW I forgot to add Ive never had to add a drop of oil to it is whats so unusual.

Danny

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Kaw engines had a problem with the crankcase vent system. There was a recall on this but it seems few people ever heard about it. The upgrade kit has a new air filter base which stops this problem. Your Kaw dealer will be able to get this kit for you. He will need ALL the numbers from the engine for his paper work. Your JD dealer can do this for you as well. I know for a fact because I have put several on under warranty though Kaw.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

thank you fixer.will ask dealer about it first thing in the morning.
    Danny

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

hardworking-poorman> Well if the dealer gives you problems you can fix the problem your self. All the new base is it has a piece of metal that redirects the crankcase vent gases into the carb throat so they are burned in the engine instand of being sprayed on the air filter.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks fixer67, If the dealer gives me a hard time I will do that. Ive heard all kind of horror stories about how kaw is hard to get to warranty their engines, I hope I dont have any problems.

Danny

7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Man fixer.. we could use you to come work down here. Maybe you could be a working, "winter Texan".