$19 Really?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KG26, Apr 30, 2014.

1. KG26

KG26 LawnSite Member

This is starting to become a regular thing. For the forth time this month I have had a prospect call me to inquire about receiving a quote, After I call back to go over the quote they inform me that they are looking for something in the area of $19-$21 for a cut Mind you these are $30-$35 lawns based off the sq ft and difficulty . I've heard stories about people getting the lot cut for $19- $21 and where is the company at now. People want something for nothing.
  2. Crammin'Mows

Crammin'Mows LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Tell them to call the kid down the street; they can get back to you if they want a pro to take care of the thing.
  3. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I can honestly say that in over a decade I've never once experienced this. Sucks, man. Sorry to hear that you're getting lowballed.
  4. 360lawncare

360lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that's crazy low!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

Story of my life bro. This happens all the time around here. Most people don't want to pay for good work.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $20 but for properties that take me 20-25 mins, so not all that lowball, ones around the .15 acre mark. I've lost a few jobs because someone bid $5 less than me. It sucks.
  7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I'm so busy I had to set minimum prices, it is unfortunate as it doesn't hurt my feelings when they say no, matter of fact I am glad if they find someone else and if they can do it for less that's even better because I really don't like to charge a lot but I have to because I don't have a choice. Now I always tell them, you have my number, I sure hope the guy(s) you found work out for you but if you need someone later I'll give you the same price and I would hope you'd consider, only I ask you'd consider calling me.

Can't say everything is perfect but at this point things usually go quite pleasantly, as we part on good terms.
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  8. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not hassling you, really. But if you're charging $20 you are the lowballer. You can have all the work you want with a min. price of $30. If someone offers to mow a lawn for $15....let them. There really is a limitless supply of work to be done at fair prices.

With that said, you seem to be pretty happy at your current prices. But I think you'd be REALLY happy if you raised your rates a little.
  9. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

If he's making a profit, why is he a lowballer? Because he found a cheaper way to cut grass as you sit there and scratch your head?? I can tell you this, my most profitable accounts start off at $18.
  10. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Spring of 2013 I did a clean up for an elderly couple.

They liked the work and wanted me to take care of their lawn. 13,920 SF.
    They wanted me to lime, fert, and seed for $45.

I told them that I can not buy the lime, fert, and seed needed for their property for $45. I an not work for free and you are expecting me not even get paid enough to cover the cost of the materials.

Then that talk concluded our business relationship.

The best part as we spoke I found out that there last guy was a teenager that stopped working for them because they would not pay him enough.