$19 Really?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KG26, Apr 30, 2014.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if anyone in the country is getting $100 per acre they are the biggest scam artist ever.

it takes an hr or less to do a 1 acre yard.

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a few $125 1 acre accounts. Estates with multiple flower gardens, beds, trees, fences, buildings etc. Takes me almost an 1 1/2 to mow, trim, blow, unload and load back up. All highend accounts. These are beautiful places.

A basic 1 acre lot, flat, minimal trimming is around $60 here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

What about Beer?:drinkup:

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with 32. Anything below fair market value is lowballing. You not only need to know your costs but what your areas going rates ate.

You wouldn't get a job that pays $20 an hour but tell the employer you will work for $15 an hour because you have less bills than your coworkers would you??
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Why is it a scam? You charge what the market will bare. If people are willing to pay that much then why not charge it?
    The goal at the end of the day is to make as much money as possible for the least cost and effort.

What about machine upgrades? Lets say you start out mowing a prop with a WB, takes 2hrs and you charge $100. $50/hr not so bad, right? But then you upgrade to a ztr and now your doing it in an hour. Thats $100/hr. Thats not a scam, thats just working smarter!

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

This is one smart Landscaper.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

don't have to worry about that where I live. no one is willing to pay that much. if they would I would be charging that much. :laugh:

8. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. What's funny is that if you post a price there's complaining its too low and youre a lowballer, and if you post another price, its too high and you're a scammer. Funny stuff. Exactly why I pay zero attention to what guys in the area do. Charge what you charge and move on. Guys will never stick together or take advice on what they should charge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  9. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo - "Charge what you charge and move on" :walking:

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Tell me about it. Yards are cheaper now in my area than 10 years ago. In one 6000 populated town, there are 11 crews running around. Including us, I was one of three crews 15 years ago. We bid a 16 town home complex. Willing bid was $160 / time. I figured 3 guys, 3.5-4 hours mowing, trimming, all bagged. Oh well.....but yet new people keep coming. Crew cab, diesel, 30 ft trailer, all new deere mowers...amazes me, all while mowing for $10-$15 / yard. Scrabbing landscapes together, piecing irrigation in, workmanship is just poor, but yet people are hiring these guys, low bid. I am not in the low bid game , I am in business!