19 year old expanding.. time for commerical equip. CUB CADET ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Aug 7, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

If you'd like to read up on how my busniess is going so far, here's the thread:

I need to drop my "residential" Z4217 Husqvarna ZTR and replace it with something heavy duty commerical grade.

I'm looking at a 48" cut because most of my lawns are standard city-size or small subdivision-type lots.
    So far I have been looking at a Husqvarna 48" ZTR and at the Cub Cadet Tank series.

The Cub Cadet dealer here has got his ZTR Tanks on clearance for 500 off, plus 0% financing for 3 years so it sound like a good pricing deal... but hows the quality for the Tank series - anyone know?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Search the yellow book for dealers in your area. Dixie chopper, Scag, Hustler, Gravely, Exmark, this list goes on and on. I dont see alot of Cub Cadet ztrs around here on a commercial basis. Demo multiple machines and make a choice based on quality and dealer support.
  3. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

I would look at a 737 or 757 Deere I beilve they
    offer no payment no intrest till April 06 :cool2:
    Alot better machine also higher resell at trade time!
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have never seen a Cub Cadet ztr in my life. I know what there colors are but i have never seen one on any LCO's trailer around me.
  5. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

ive never used a cub so im no expert on them, but i will say that my local dealer for the tanks also is a dealer for scag. in the owner of the dealerships own words, "the tank is a good machine, but for $300 more, you'd be a fool not to buy the scag." maybe he gets a bigger kickback from scag or something but he seemed like he meants those words. there are so many to choose from though, just demo as many as you can. good luck :waving:
  6. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from the Husqvarna. I hear everyone on here compaining about how long it takes to get parts for them. They don't seem very serious about the lawn business, letting AYP make their residential ZTRs. Go with someone whos commited to quality products like Toro (reliable and proven dealer support), Exmark (very popular commercially), Scag (lots of tough machines for many applications), or Hustler (very innovative as of late, great dealer support). I heard the tanks are good though, very tough machines. Hustler and Scag have great warranties. Just make sure the dealer support his going to be good when you find yourself in a pinch. Don't try to save money if weak dealer support is the end result. Most ZTRs are in the same price range with their competitor's similar model. You sound like your off to a good start.
  7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60" tank and love it.

Sturdy built, etc.

Personally, I didn't want a stamped deck (JD) and I didn't want to pay $1500 more for an equivalent sized HP/Cut Exmark------

Best dealer in the area sells Exmark and Cub Cadet, so I went with the Cub due to price, warranty, etc.
  8. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know much about the tank series...but I've used a Cub Cadet ZTR that my uncle thought was the coolest thing until I got my Exmark. The Cadet was a piece of trash. I wouldn't have paid him 10 dollars for that thing. Husqvarna makes some good stuff. However I only have experience with one residential riding mower. I have seen a fellow that used a Commercial ZTR on a yard next to mine, and screwed it all up. I don't know if that goes for all of them, or just him. But like someone else said, demo a few to see what would suit you best.
  9. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

10. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Bingo, couldn't have said it better myself.