192,000 miles too many?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by wannabemowing, Jun 22, 2008.

1. wannabemowing

wannabemowing LawnSite Member

Yep another post from me:) I was looking around for a 3/4 ton truck and I found a 97 F-250 regular cab long box with the 7.3 PSD with 192,000 miles. Now I know that is a lot of miles, the guy is asking $6500 OBO for it, would anybody consider buying this truck or would the miles make you nervous and not want to buy? Haven't been able to go look at it or drive it but it looks to be in very good shape.

Here is the link to it...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=10000&cardist=20

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Drive it, take it to a mechanic. See what they say. Looks like a very nice truck. The miles wouldnt scare me one bit. Id probly give him 5k..

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a clean truck, I am assuming it's non-turbo, and if it's turbo'ed not intercooler yet on that year? If you got the cash, no payment, and a non emission burdened diesel is always a good choice. A new long block 7.3L PS will run you about what the truck is worth. Folks are gobbling up these older generation diesels it's a winner

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

You have assumed wrong. From 94 on the 7.3 was turbo charged.

7.3 Powerstroke is about as good as it gets in older diesels.

5. mchildress

mchildress LawnSite Member

Like said above have it checked out. My 95 has 180,000 on it,just put a clutch in last month.The clutch was still good the dual mass fly wheel was worn out. We have a 97 too with 200,000 both trucks are Powerstrokes they still look good and run strong.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 95 to 97 PSDs didin't have a intercooler so the hp was 215. I converted the miles to kilometers and it is a high kilometerage truck. For that price of 6500 it the max anybody would pay for it.

The truck looks okay.

7. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

The miles wouldn't scare me, I have a 96 with 212,000, no worries yet. My uncle has 265,000, and a buddy has over 300,000 miles on his. I'd give in the $5000-$6000 range if it checks out. Looks like a solid old truck.

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i have bought many fords over the years with the same or more mileage than that.as long as you change the oil,keep the lubricated and drive responsibly,you will get a lot of use out of it.do a carfax on the VIN.its worth the 20 bucks.most dealers will do it free.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Those were good years for the truck itself. We have a late '92 f250 with over 280,000 now and the chassis is as solid as any of our trucks.

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

here i thought you were a diesel guy. all powerstrokes have turbos, thats 94.5+. no intercooler. O and i have a 96 with almost 230k with no problems what so ever.