1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1942 Montamower. Anyone ever see this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yacht, Feb 11, 2004.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

My father-in-law and I were in the process of remodeling one of his apartments when we came across an interesting advertisement. Upon cutting through and tearing out the last wall we found an advertisment for a "Montamower" dated February 1942. The advertisement exploits the fact that "Due to the war our national defense program has made it increasingly difficult to obtain the metals necessary for the building of any lawn mower, and no lawn mower manufacturer can get a priority on steel...it is only a question of time when lawn mowers of all types will be scarce and high priced"

Thought it was kinda cool to see this. Anyone ever see one of these in real life???

2. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Here's a shot of the front showing the date.

3. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

To much work I need motor and a seat. I never looked good mowing in a dress.
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Olderthandirt has one in his inventory. j/k.
  5. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I agree about the seat and motor thing.

How long did you mow in a dress before you decided you didn't look good?! Was it the dress or maybe just try another color?? Ha!! :)

I did a search and there's been no mention of this mower on this site. Just thought I'd see if anyone heard of it.
  6. bigcountry

bigcountry LawnSite Member

Yes, I have a Montmower. I have had it for about fifty years, and did not know what it was.
  7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have one and it does work.
    You can only mow with it when you are taking about 1/2 inch of grass off though.
    I will post a pic later.

8. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

yep. At a farm show I go to every year. There is this one guy who brings like 30 push reel mowers. He has one.
  10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How do you adjust the height????

That would look painful to ride on.....