1977 Truck Value?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nherweck, Feb 20, 2006.

1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, I can't find the value for a truck this old...so can any of you give me some assistance? What it is is a 77 Ford 1 ton , 2wd, hydro dump bed, 3 speed w/ bulldog (?), new tires & wheels, believes 109,000 miles (it says 9,000 on the odometer), everything is pretty much in working condition, needing rear breaks soon. He's wanting 3900 for it. I'm guessing this is steep? What do you guys think?

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

that does sound alittle much in my opinion. the truck is almost 30 years old. i'm not one preaching to buy brand new trucks, as i have had older trucks forever... but i usaully try and get a deal atleast. isn't that usaully why we look at older trucks?
    got a pic of it?

brakes on those trucks are exspensive! if you have to change the drums or rotors.:dizzy:

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Without pictures its hard to tell what the value will be as those old trucks which I have had are prone to rust. Doing the rear brakes are not bad when you do them you change everything even the wheelbearings if they look bad.

The old 70s trucks don't stop that well so doing the best job you can do on the brakes the better.

Oh what size of motor does this truck have if its a 360 plan on very poor fuel mileage.

4. nherweck

i don't have any pictures at hand, ill try to get some posted later, i'll run by his house and get some pics taken. But yes, that was my only reason for even talking to him about it...to get a deal....because I won't have any extra cash to spare untill late spring.

5. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

i thought old dump trucks were supposed to be dirt cheap went and looked at a gmc 1500 dump with 450k miles and the guy wanted $3600 for it, it would be cheaper in the long run to just go out and buy a new one

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If it's painted with a flawless body, new everything, chrome inserts..etc.
    Id give $3500

But for the average old Ford Dump $1500 Esp. if it the original motor, and the truck has some cancer.

7. nherweck

Here are some pics from my camera phone...I didn't zoom in at all due to limited space, so the pics are pretty small. Here they are though!

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8. nherweck

...and for the interior...it looks like it's OK shape..it was used for a lawn care business (go figure), so it has oil stains on the carpet, and the seats are worn down, but not torn. The passenger side door panel is gone as well. That is all I could see from the outside

9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people are going to disagee but I think one of the best business moves I ever made was to buy a newer dump truck. In the year I've had the truck it has more then paid for itself (literally) and has saved me so much time over an older truck that I had.

Previously I had a 1990 f350 diesel that was in excellent shape. I think I paid $5000 for it with 110,000 miles on it, sold it 4 months later for $7,500. Don't get me wrong, it's better then nothing, but there was nothing fast about this truck. My new truck can pull heavy loads a lot faster and safer, can carry more weight, and can dump debri a lot easier. Not to mention it doesn't eat through tires, I don't have to always fix somthing going wrong with it, there is no down time etc..

I think starting out if I were you I'd consider a dump trailer for the same amount of money as that truck if you have another truck to pull the trailer with.

Pictures of old truck and new:

old truck 1.JPG

new truck 1.JPG

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The truck is perfect if you can / Don't mind working on it.
    For me the older trucks are the way to go b/c we hardly put any miles on them and we can fix everything in house.

We put less than 3,000 miles on my dump truck in a year. All but one of the trucks are Emissions exempt. My old pick up gets about 4,000 miles per year...so a new truck really doesn't amke sense. UNLESS I sold everything and got a brand new Dump every 4years. But that would still cost me more per month than I currently pay for repairs. $500 per month vs. $1,000 per year in Maint. and repairs. Plus for plowing you need a spare truck sitting and ready to go. I wouldn't trust a new truck with all the electronics plowing. If one of those lights come on at 3am and you don't have a spare truck you're screwd