1984 C20?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KS_Grasscutter, Nov 23, 2006.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I have been looking at this 1984 Chevy 3/4 ton for the last couple days, went with dad today and looked at it kinda close, we will go first thing in the AM tomorrow and test drive it and possibly make an offer on it. It is in damn good to almsot excellant condition, has 80,000 miles with NO rust AT ALL. Original paint is still near perfect. Has new tires and a break controller. They want $4900 for it, which i think is NUTS. I got approved on a loan through my bank as long as dad co-signs (which he will). Am gonna offer $4000, and if they dont take it, I'll wait till they call and do. It is an independant dealer, and the truck has been there a little while, so i think that should help my odds.

Anyway, anything to look for on it, and do you think that price is somewhat fair?

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I'd pay more than $2000 for that truck tops.

I'd look for a newer truck if I was you.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think I would wait get something newer. That is a 23 year old pickup. Yeah there might be a certain cool factor but that is about it.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

$2000 would be stretching it.

Even with low miles, rubber rots, 23 years means the bushings are going to be sloppy, and the suspension soft. You'll have to drop a grand on the suspension alone to get it up to snuff. Then you've got issues like the brake lines and gaskets in the engine being dried out.

I love the '80s chevy's, but $4900 is ridiculous.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If its a 2wd I wouldn't look at it but if it was a 4x4 and in good shape a truck like that here would easily fetch 4000 CND (3500 US). There have been old beat up Chevy 4x4s that are not even fit for the road sold for 1500 dollars (1300 us).

Around here if its a decent 4x4 P/U that runs good you will get a good price. My first ever Ford 1 ton dually flatdeck which was a 77 2wd short wheelbase cost me 5000 dollars Canadian.

Myself if I'am buying a P/U truck it has to be a 4x4 a 2wd P/U is useless in my area you can get stuck on a
    banana peal :laugh:

6. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I agree with the others; find something newer. Exhaust, brakes, tires, shocks, water pump, alternator, radiator, hoses, door seals, window seals, steering, gas tank, fuel lines, windshield wiper motor, wiper pump, emissions testing, brake lines, etc. all need to be inspected. I had an old truck and I convinced myself i wouldn't mind working on it. I ended up working on it about once a week which got old really quick. Especially since mine was rusty and greasy and oily. I highly recommend something newer and fuel injected if you are going to rely on this to make money. $400 a month is $400 a month whether it's in parts and labor or if its on a payment.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it the LD (7200 GVWR) or the HD (8600 GVWR) version? Makes a big difference. I had a LD with the 305 and while it was reasonably stout it was a gutless gas guzzling pig. A full load in the bed would slow it down considerably. The HD with a 350 or 454 would be much better but even if it's as clean as you say it is it's not worth what they want for it.

8. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

what did you end up doing??

9. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I think the price is reasonable. Nothing beats a classic ageless truck.

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Thats fine. IMO we have a few years to go.