1984 Craftsman GT-18 Garden Tractor

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Technoid, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Technoid

Technoid LawnSite Member

I have been looking for a used engine for this tractor. I am the original owner of this fine machine. I wore out the engine and hate to get rid of the tractor. The engine is an 18 hp Briggs.
    Sears wants way to much for a short block. Anyone know where I could find a replacement that runs?

2. mud_man93

mud_man93 LawnSite Member

you can get mortors through nothern tool

3. Technoid

Technoid LawnSite Member

I looked at what they had. Still to expensive. I need a used engine in running condiction. Thanks anyway for the reply.

4. mud_man93

mud_man93 LawnSite Member

i was just woundering how you wore out the mortor i have one of those tractors and it is the best garden tractor i have ever used
    (i just wish that they could make an atachment that would last for more than an hour or two)

5. Technoid

Technoid LawnSite Member

Many many many hours of operation. The cylnders went egg shape. Rod knock and just plain tired. I use to use it for landscape work, plowing snow,
    and just plain fun with the kids. I had still have the plow and mower deck. It was and still is a good machine.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When fixed, what do you plan to do with the machine? Work it? Play? what? If you plan to work it you better step to the plate and find a new motor. If your just going to play with it, I guess a used motor would be fine. Probably need to find a homeowner with one and steal the motor. Well, ok, buy it for parts and take it. haha.

7. Technoid

Technoid LawnSite Member

As a rule with anything, if its over 10yrs old, the price of a new motor is better spent on a new machine. I only want to use this machine for a yard tug. Moving trailers around and hauling a cart for fire wood. Ive got my eye on a new Troybuilt garden tractor. The chassis is built solid
    and it looks better than anything Sear's sells now. Thanks for dropping in:D

8. Luisto

Luisto LawnSite Member

Not sure about pricing but you might want to check Tulsa Small Engines site; They seem to run some pretty good rebuilt items every so often.

9. Technoid

Technoid LawnSite Member

Do you have the web address? www.???

10. Luisto

Luisto LawnSite Member