1985 John Deere 850 Dozer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by start2finish, Feb 3, 2007.

1. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

how much is one worth, 90%undercarriage almost new
    sheet metal good.
    finals checked with magnet.
    sounds good, runs strong.
    12 foot wide blade, hydraulic tilt left and right. (not angle)
    hydrostatic.

1700 hrs showing, meter not working though. maybe double that at most.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I looked up some Ritchie Bros prices what 850 Deeres in that vintage sold for was anywhere from 9000 to 24,000. I would prolly count on atleast 24,000 to 30,000 but without pictures its hard to say.

How does that machine compare in size to a Cat ?

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

All the 850 were 37,000 +pounds.The late models are 40,000 +.

I think they were all Hydrastatic as well.

If it has a 90% undercarraige it would lead me too beleive it has been repaired which would lead me too think it has alot of hours.

Are the Grouser pads welded on or are they cast on.

Have the pins been turned?

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's similar to a mid-size Cat D6.

On a machine that old, it would be hard to say what it's worth. If the undercarriage really is that good, I'm sure it's had to have been replaced, which means it probably has 4000+ hours. A person would have to run it and check it over to get a accurate assessment. Just guessing, I would lean toward $17,000-$20,000.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

$20,000 or so.

6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Being over 20 years old and 1700 hr and hour meter not working,im sure it would be closer to 8 to 10 thousand hours and that might even be on the low side.

I just looked at Deere 750,it was 2000 model and it had 5600 hours and was used just to push mulch around.Nice machine ,and they had just put all new undercarriage on it.

Search machineytrader and you can get a good idea.

If it was a one owner and you knew its history it would make it worth more, to me at least.

17k for the low side up to 24K if you knew for sure about its history.

Because of the hydrastaic trans i decided to check out other options and brand.They perform well when new ,but as age they tend to slip,heating problems, and oil leaks.Plus they are high dollar to work on! But what isn't????

So depending on your use if you need more to finish with, they are good for that ,but hogging dirt might have more of the problems above.

I was looking for something to do some of both ,so why i was looking at the 750(mid range),plus i was wanting to go to automatic laser controlled machine and they are easier to install the hydraulic vavle for the laser setup.You need power beyond and they are easier to plum them for it.

At least with good undercarriage that is a plus ,because that is the main expense on a dozer! Good luck

7. start2finish

the machine was used for plowing in cables in Florida, only very slow straight lines. The machine had rubber pads on the pads(bolt on) they looked good before they were pulled off.

pins have not been turned, it is claimed that this is the original undercarriage, the type of work it was used for was very easy on an undercarriage. believable,....maybe

8. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Most dozers that plow cable in doesn't have the dozer mounted on them they have the reel of cable on a spool mounted on the front of the machine.

Some doesn't have the mounts to mount a dozer on them.So does this have a dozer blade and if so what does it look like???? If it doesn't have blade and you plan to buy one you need to plan that in on the price.Could be something hard to find,especially not a beat up one.

If used like you said it could be low houred,i take it you saw the rubber pads they took off????? It might not hurt to have a track guy come and measure the tracks for you to make sure they are 90%.Florida has lots of sand and that is hard on tracks.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The JD 850 dozers of that vintage were not very reliable machines. They were the biggest dozer in the JD lineup, and JD was really out at the edge of their hydrostatic drive technology back then. My company leased a few, but they all proved to be unreliable and had constant problems. We never purchased any, even though JD offered all types of incentives on them.
    I really suggest you pass on that machine. I am surprised it has survived this long, given the many problems those early 850's had.

10. start2finish

gravel rat as for the undercarriage, 90% accurate, sprokets flat, pins smooth and round, rails even and thick. Pads and grousers great.

it did have a reel on the front, but the owner has installed a blade on the machine. The blade is 12 foot wide, hydraulic tilt (not angle) and is in good shape, no holes dents or such. cutting edge has been flipped, but I assume the blade was used when it was installed