1986 Ford F250 diesel?? Good or Bad??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smith Lawn & Landscaping, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im currently looking at a 86 f 250 diesel its the 7.3 International motor. Im personally not a ford guy but this deal is too good to pass i think!! The truck needs bushings were the shocks mount to and other than that it has 300,000 miles on it. I know diesels last forever but that kinda scares me considering i need the truck to be reliable. As of right now im pulling my trailers with my 92 toyoyta 4runner. He's asking 1,500 OBO. any help would be appreciated. Also if any of yall have had to get this exact motor rebuilt could you give me a rough estimate thanks..

2. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

the 7.3 ltr is a good diesel my dad has had one for 16 years and its given him little trouble its an 88 f 450 super duty, it has the striaght front end instead of the twin ibeam pos. i hope u live somewhere that warm cuz if its under 50 degrees outside better plug it in and keep an extra starter with you youll need it sooner or later. are u sure thaT 86 has the 7.3 or is it the 6.9 if its the 6.9 id stay away from it, but for 1500 it may be a decent deal. if it was me i would get a chevrolet ive owned those ever since i got tired of workin on my fords. ive driven the same gmc truck for five years and it has 250000 miles on it and has given me very little trouble unlike the fords i had.
    hope this helps.

3. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Thanks i appreciate the info. yea im a chevy guy myself i just saw this and thought it might be a good deal. Im positive its the 7.3 international motor. And it stays fairly warm around here. I just can't find any good deals on chevys. Ive looked in trading post, newspaper,online i don't know??

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Someone has replaced the engine, if it is the 7.3IDI. The 7.3 was not available until 1988.
    That truck should have the 6.9 in it.

5. kubotab7200

from Newkirk

come 2 oklahoma thier a dime a dozen around here but like u said good deals on chevys arent common, i guess gm is like good equiptment u gota pay the money for it. when ever i washed my hands of ford my blood pressure has been normal and my tools are only used to change blades or oil not fix my ford every week.

6. kubotab7200

from Newkirk

ur right some one had to have changed that engine

7. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

I apologize for the incorrect info. It is infact a 88 but with that being said does this deal sound reasonable or should i look elsewhere?? what about the mileage on it?

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

id say it sounds good for 1500 bucks. id buy it. do you have pictures? glad you cleared up the year.

9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Is it 4x4, auto or 5 speed? 300K is a lot of miles on any pickup, but I know of quite a few 7.3 IDI's that are over 400K. The biggest killer of those trucks is cavitation. you might want to try to find out what kind of maintenance the previous owner (s) gave to the coolant. I have a 1989 f450 super duty with that motor, it won't win any races, but it will haul 5 tons no problem, just not real fast.

10. kubotab7200

from Newkirk

ya those old 7.3s are slow but they will sure move a load that one we got has the five speed, 75 mph is as fast as it will go that 513 rear end dont allow much speed but man that thing will pull. weve had 14 tons behind it and would do 70 with that load, dont know if it will do it know its been a few years.