1986 Grasshopper 1822 Hydro oil change/ specs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cableman, Nov 29, 2005.

1. cableman

cableman LawnSite Member

I purchased a used 1822 with 1000 hours on it and I want to change the hydro oil. Does anybody know the process on how to do it. I did check with Grasshopper tech support and they are mailing the process to me. They did send me the specs on the oil requirements-

1. Cannot have viscosity improvers(means it IS synthetic)
    2. Pour point at -50 degrees F
    3. Viscosity index of 180
    4. Approximately 1400 parts per million(PPM) of zinc

"It is safe to use an oil that meets the above criteria. Do not use an oil that does not meet these criteria"- Grasshopper tech support

Where can a person find an oil that meets the above without going through GH?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The new ones use mobil 1 in the hydro ask Mowing man hes the loacal grass hopper expert

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Try calling your local grasshopper dealer, I know mine stocks gallon jugs of "grasshopper hydro fluid"

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Grasshopper dealer. You need to use DTE18M hydraulic fluid. Any Grasshopper dealer should have it. Do not use synthetic oil, do not use the "Grasshopper Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid". Those are the wrong oils for this old style trans. in your machine.
    You can also get DTE18M, or an equivilent at most any bulk oil supply company. However, they usually only sell it in 5 gal. buckets, or 55 gal. drums.

5. cableman

cableman LawnSite Member

I thought GH tech support was giving me the wrong info about the oil. I know on the oil tank it states SAE 30 motor oil only. Thanks Mowingman. Do you know the process on how to change the hydro oil? GH told me it needs changed every 400 hours. I don't know if it has ever been changed since I just bought the machine.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Has Grasshopper ever done anythingt o help it's machines climbhills better than what they were able to? We had an antique with a 16HP Kohler single and that thing would not climb after a morning dew let alone a rain. It would back up anything, just not go forward very well.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

In a word NO!
    the weight transfer helps but if your going up a slope, turn around and back up is the only way I found to get to the top with out turfing the heck out of the lawn

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Try Grainger. I bought Mobile DTE26, for my GH with a G2 transmission, in a 1 gallon container.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have never changed the oil on one of those machines. In fact, I have never seen one. My computer parts view, shows a couple of hoses going down from the little oil tank. I don't know if there is a drain plug on that tank or not. If not, you would take one of the lines loose at the low point, and drain as much oil out as you can. Rehook the line and fill tank with new oil. The system should blled itself of air after you crank it up and move the steering levers some.
    As to the 30W info. If it says that on the tank, then I guess that will do the trick. However, we have always used the DTE ol in everything except the newer G2 trans. systems.

10. crfebres

crfebres LawnSite Member

Sir, I have a G725 and believe it has the G2 transmission. I have Mobil DTE26 as oil to use from this string and Mobil DTE90 from another string in this site. Which one if any is correct? I live 140 due east of San Antonio. Is your dealership near San Antonio?