1987 doge truck leaking anti freeze

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Holistic Landscapes, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Holistic Landscapes

Holistic Landscapes LawnSite Member

My question is... I had a couple of freezer plugs replaced already.. and the one that is leaking is in back of the motor.. so its like a 400 dollar repair because they have to move the tranny... I"m a newbie at taking care of any trucks... can I fill the raidiator with 50 percent water and 50 percent anti freeze? Or does it have to be just anti freeze? I also tried that lead pelletized stuff with no success... thanks

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I'm showing 4.5 to 5.5 hrs labor for removal and reinstallation of the tranny plus .5 for each expansion plug. Use a 50/50 mix or water and antifreeze. I would also recommend a complete coolant system flush now that you have put those pellets in there. Get that crap out of there ASAP! Also, I'd have them do all the expansion plugs in that area that require the removal of the tranny... you dont want to go thru this again in a couple months.

3. Holistic Landscapes

Holistic Landscapes LawnSite Member

Freak'n bastards were probably rippin me off.. eh who know's.... Why do you say get those pellets out of there? It was liquid stuff.. I went to an automotive parts guy who owned it.. he said this would be my best bet... is the stuff really bad? I hope Id din't mess up... Thanks again.. peace

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I dont see how they were ripping you off.. 400 bucks is about right depending on the labor rate. Those radiator stop leak products are trouble. They plug up radiator cores, heater cores, ect. After the leak is fixed have the system flushed and get it out of there. There's no such thing as mechanic in a can. The ONLY solution to a coolant leak is fix it, permanently!
    Also, especially with older vehicles, some busy shops dont want the headache of messing with them. So they will give a high estimate to drive you away. Then they go on with business and doing the gravy jobs.