1989 dodge ram50

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jacob land and, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

im looking at a 1989 dodge ram50. it has the cummins turbo diesel, a boss straight blade that is in pretty good shape and a ez dumper insert that is in fair condition. the only thing im worried about is it has 280k miles. they are asking $2500, hoping to walk away with it for $1000. what do you think?

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can get it for 1k and have it last a year i would say its worth it.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Definatly. As long as it still runs ok and the driveline is realitivly tight I'd say it would be a great buy for $1000.

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You do mean Ram 250, right? The Ram 50 was the little Mistubishi. A CTD powered Ram 250 that runs, drives, steers and stops is worth at least $3K. A working EZ dumper is worth $1K. Not sure about the plow, don't have much use for them around here. Sounds like a winner for $2.5K. The motor is probably OK with 280K, but the rest of the truck could be pretty hammered...:hammerhead:

5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, that has to be the ram 250. If that was a CTDin a Ram 50 that would be kind of interesting! Check for all the usual problems such as frame rust, leaks, and especially wiring in those older Rams (trust me, I have one). If everything ckecks out, go for it!:drinkup:

6. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

i went and test drove it today dump and plow work fine. it starts a little rough and the brakes are really soft, they are firm on the price to $2500 is this a big cause for concern...?

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't be too worried. See if you can offer them $1900 or something, get the thing tuned up and put on some good brakes and you'll be all set! Diesels are supposed to start rough.. haha!:laugh:

8. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

That sounds like a good bet. It should last you a good while still.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ask if the coolant has been changed every 5 years and if they have any proof of it. Cavitation is a HUGE problem with older poorly maintained diesels. If the coolant has never been changed then expect the block to be pitted and it will be shot relatively soon. Have an oil analysis done on this truck as well before you buy and see what the wear metals are at and if there is any coolant already in the oil. 2500 is not a bad price if it has been maintained well.

10. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

you can get coolant test strips at NAPA to verify that additives are still healthy
    cummins was not too prone to cavitation, but it is worth checking, and certainly worth maintaining. There are quite a few fixes to get free power from this vintage, and truck is pretty stout, tho tend to rust. (Cab pillars / floors) Check for a broken steering box mount, Mine's welded...

wiring is not great, but a $5 relay added in headlight circuit solves the biggest issue.

good dodge info here; www dieseltruckresource com ; look in 1st generation forum

These are mostly 'mechanical', diesels so pretty simple to fix and maintain.