1989 ford f350 diesel low fuel light

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mower&more1986, Sep 28, 2007.

1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive lost my owners manual and need to know would my truck have a low fuel light? plus has anyone have problems with the fuel gauge going down when your taking off at a stop light?
    heres a video of my truck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNpiuLPkhIc

2. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

I doubt you have a low fuel light as my '94 doesnt have one either. On my front fuel tank, the gauge rocks when its below 3/8 tank or so, while the rear tank at 1/4 tank.

3. mower&more1986

darn, oh well. have you ever had to replace your rear fuel tank? how much did it cost? mine takes fuel but leaks in the rear tank. front tank seems all good

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No but my D-2500 the gauge likes to act stupid, not sure if it's a short or what but sometimes it drops to E and stays there and other times it just hovers around, there's never no telling for sure where the fuel level actually is.
    And I had a VW before that, the gauge didn't work at all...

Here's how I always got (and still get) around it:
    1) Always fill up the tank when fueling, I mean fill'er up.
    2) Reset your trip odo.
    3) Knowing the mpg of your truck, drive it until according to the trip odo you're down to 1/3'rd of the tank, never more.
    4) Fill'er up again, don't forget to reset trip odo.

That's it, my D-2500 holds 30 gallons and I get 10-12 mpg so I drive it until that trip odo reads about 200 miles, then it's time to fill'er back up. 200 miles is my limit, I just don't play games with it, sometimes I fill'er back up before that, like at 100 or 150 or whatever, just no more than 2/3'rds of a tank per the mileage, that should make pretty sure you never run out.

Never had a problem, you just have to remember to do it and be religious about it.

They sell this putty at the auto parts store for like $3 bucks... If you can see the hole or if you can get to it, it's a pretty easy fix and apparently it lasts forever, I've only had to do one tank of mine but it was gtg for years.

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

while on fuel your era fords with dual tanks and the switch in the dash the switch or wiring harness goes bad and you can switch tanks so just be careful with it

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

thats very normal. the gauge wasnt as electronic as it is now. the will move on take off and when you slow down. and no low fuel light then. nothing wrong with it.

7. mower&more1986

I think I'll check with some places I know and will soon have the rear fuel tank replaced

8. mower&more1986

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

man you need to do somethin with that exhaust mower&more! that is tiny! very bad for a diesel!

10. mower&more1986