1989 gmc 1500

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by northmichigan, Jan 7, 2005.

1. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

i could use some advice on my 1989 gmc1500 landscape truck. when i turn the key the electric comes on but there is no turning of the engine.i replaced the battery and the starter. the starter before this one only lasted a couple of years;do they short out.should i remove the starter first to see if it is defective? i made sure that the starter was receiving power and the battery was charged.or should i look to the ignition?
    thanks for any advice in advance.
    mj

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

On Chevy/GMC the positive wire goes from the battery directly to the starter. This makes is easy to verify that there is a good connection at both ends and no damage along the way. The negative cable needs good connections at both ends also. The battery needs to be load tested to verify that it is good. Next there is a small trigger wire at the starter that energizes the solenoid. You would need to verify that you are getting a full twelve volts with a voltmeter. Somtimes there can be a problem where you dont get full voltage and it is not enough to trip the solenoid. If you have verified all of the above then It would appear that the starter is bad. Chevy's arent too bad to get a starter out to bench test. For the low price of starters nowdays it doesnt pay to repair one. Many also come with lifetime gaurantees. I hope this points you in the right direction.

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Always bench test your starter by placing it in a vice that is padded by wood, clamp it down firmly but don't kill it, then take a battery or a charger and touch the terminals.

Starter rebuilding places are notorious for sending out junk in boxes. If you have a good auto parts store, they will bench test for you before you ever bring it home.

4. northmichigan

i will bench test the starter after i verify power to all wires. thanks for the timely advice as this is my only truck and even though its 15 today i'd like to get it running.
    mj

5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

northmich, is this a manual trans or auto? just had a problem similar to yours with my 1990 chevy, on the manual trans truck there is a switch that closes when you step on the clutch, this is what went bad with mine. tony

6. northmichigan

tony
    this is an automatic. i just replaced the starter in november. do these things short out?
    mj

7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

If there is power to the SMALL terminal on the starter when you trun the key to start, and obviously the large postive cable is connected properly, it has to start or its the starter. IF there is not 12 volts at the SMALL trigger wire on the starter when you turn the key I would check to make sure it is all the way in park. If it is, it is either a nuetral safety switch, ignition switch, or a bad wire/connection. There is nothing else to the system.

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: also on my truck the is a second wire on the positive side going to the alt,it has an inline fuse make sure that a) this wire is in good cond. b) make sure fuse isnt blown, ive also have had this problem in the past. tony

9. northmichigan

tony i didn't see a fuse but i'll look again.
    thanks
    mj