1990 Hydra-mac 1850

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Paulsie, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Paulsie

Paulsie LawnSite Member

Sirs,I own the above machine but the crankshaft broke in half. A gentleman @Fergusons informed me that a Isuzu 4Jb1 motor would work.I live in Calgary and the Onan dealer cannot help.Any info or direction would be appreciated.:confused:
  2. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

There is a Company in Thief River Falls, MN, Schmalz Industries. The owner eats and sleeps Hydra-Mac, he will know exactly what you should do to repair your 1850. I seem to recall that they came out with the Onan/Cummins engine and then switched over to the Isuzu. I am not sure this number is still good but you could check with information, talk to Keith 218-681-4581 . I worked with the Hydra-mac line in the late 80's they were very tough machines, I am surprised another skid steer manufacturer didn't buy them out. Good luck! www.accuratemachinery.com
  3. Paulsie

Paulsie LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information,I think Isuzu is is the way to go,I was hoping to get some John Deere input as it is a S.A.E. application.
  4. 1850owner

1850owner LawnSite Member

Cummins 2300t is a replacement motor, the reason the crank broke is because how the hydraulic pump is mounted. The new cummins motor comes with a pump drive in the block to attach the pump. The side load created by the poly chain belt is what breaks the crank. We had the same issue with our 1850 an put in the 2300 and are having good luck.