1991 Chevy 4x4 Dual EX?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newblade, May 7, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I am fixing to give someone an offer on a 1991 Chevy 4x4 with the 350 engine in it. Does anyone know what kind of mileage this truck gets and what I could do to it to get some better mpg? Also what does dual exhaust do for a truck?

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Is it true duals (two mufflers) or is it the stock dual pipe (single muffler, two tailpipes, both exit behind the RR wheel). The stock setup is not much different than a single pipe.

I have a 91 GMC 4x4 with a 350. When I got it last year, I got about 14 MPG, but I put a throttle body spacer on it, and the MPG went down to 10. I took it off, and the mileage is still down. A few months have past, and I seem to have noticed a slight leek in the fuel return line, so I think that may have happened when the TBI spacer was installed, and I am just now noticing it. Hopefully, repairing that will get my MPG back up. I also used this truck for plowing.. averaged about 6-8 MPG.

Kevin

3. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Is 14 not pulling anything? I was hoping for at least 16 mpg.

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I'm lucky to get over 10mpg with mine... 8.5 with the trailer. Thats with true duals. I think its a heavier truck than what you are looking at tho. Mines a '92 2500 ext. cab w/350.

5. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

If you want that kind of mileage, I think your going to have to go for the newer Vortec engines. My 97' Chevy with the 5.0 gets about 16 city, and 19 highway. (city/highway on the 91' are within 1 MPG, so I did not differentiate).

These figures are without towing. Drop about 1-2 MPG for towing a trailer.

Kevin