1991 chevy trans?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newblade, May 26, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I bought a truck and the transmission had been rebuilt a couple of years ago. It is a 350 auto. When it goes to change from second into to third it is not wanting to change and kind of slipping. It is full of fluid. What could be the problem.

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

How many miles are on the tranny? Is the fluid red, or is it a brownish color?

3. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

139000 on truck and the man said that he had it rebuilt somewhere after 100,000. He couldn't remember. I do believe that he had it rebuilt because he had no reason to lie. He was the only owner and he had traded it off to buy a new truck.

4. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

For one : get rid of that and get a ford !!!!!!!
    For two : It might be to full .
    For three: they might have done a bad job but there should be some kind of warranty on it
    For four: have it flushed and it might fix it

5. FLYonWALL9

FLYonWALL9 LawnSite Member

I just had the trans rebuilt in my 86 Dodge D100, it would "chatter" like a 5spd would do if it has a glazed flywheel or pressure plate. Does yours chatter or bummm bum bummm bummm before it goes into the next gear? not a grinding but a studder kinda but real fast? It may be the torque converter, if it wasn't replaced in the last rebuild? I tend to think least amount for repair before thinking about those 1000 buck fixers.....

6. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I thought about the flushing, do you think it will help? Has it ever helped anyone else?

7. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

no chatter or bummm bummm

8. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

9. BurbLover

BurbLover LawnSite Member

If the truck you are talking about is a 1/2 ton, the tranny is a 4L60. Not a very good tranny. If this is the case, I'd upgrade to a 4L80 which is what came in the 3/4 & 1-ton trucks of that era.

If it's the 4L80, I'd get it rebuilt at a trustworthy shop. Either way, if you get it rebuilt, expect to pay $1500-$2000.

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a 350, it will be an easy inexpensive one to rebuild (between $500-700.00) as opposed to any of the should be illegal computer assisted junks that all manufacturers lowered themselves to using.

Yes the 4L80 is bullet proof, however, it's rebuild cost is $2K plus or minus, it requires a never should be allowed in a car computer to shift and a completely different wiring scheme than if you have a vaccum shift model.

Yank the thing out, take it to an Aamco shop for an over the counter exchange, and that tranny comes with a 2 year gaurantee. Removal time about 5 hours on your back, installation time about the same. Plan on replacing the torque convertor at the same time, and flush the tranny cooler so the old oily crap does not do any damage to the new tranny.

Put the problem to bed. The truck mshould run forever without having to bend I beams to align it like a Ford in the same vintage would need. You also have a bulletproof engine rather than one of the early triton style grenades or M series big-small block conversions.