1992 Chevy idle problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Gatewayuser, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

My 92 Chevy 1500 2wd auto with a 4.3 not a vortec won't idle right. The truck idles fine for about 5mins until it gets warmed up. We have tried everything to fix it but nothing helps, GM does'nt even know whats wrong. Has any body heard of this, and what can you do to fix it?

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it run good and just not idle or after it warms up will it not run at all.

3. Gatewayuser

after warm up it will run at 250-550 RPMs sometimes stall

4. Eric 1

Ok, but if you rev it alittle will it smooth out some? or will it stutter and run rough. Could you drive it as long as it did not have to stop. There is a reason i am asking this.

5. Gatewayuser

It drives fine but what I forgot to say is that it does that when in drive. If I put it in N then it will run some what ok.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im taking a shot in the dark here, does the shifter linkage have anything to do with the throttle position sensor or MAP sensor, just wonder if that could be it since it seems to be better in netrual???????/

7. Eric 1

Ok, seems like your Idle air control valve is not working right. When you put it in D it bogs down the engine some from the trans trying to pull. It sound's like the computer is not getting the signal or a sensor is not telling the engine to idle up some. Thus the reason the IAC is my first guess.

Or it could be the egr is plugged, that is a common problem on the older 4.3's. But if that were the case it would run just alittle rough.

If the "check engine" light is on, take it to an Auto Zone and have them get the codes off the ecm and that will tell you if it is the sensors, it will also pinpoint the bad one (most of the time)lol.

8. Eric 1

No...............

9. Gatewayuser

Could be I will have to see if thats it. How do you think I could fix that if it is?

10. Eric 1

Sometimes you can adjust them some, but that is vary hard to explain. You most likely will have to replace any sensor that is bad.

Just to see, I just called my local Auto Zone. The IAC is $27.99, in stock.Not to bad.