1992 F250HD With 7.3L INTERNATIONAL Engine

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fullmetalbucket, Mar 12, 2010.

1. fullmetalbucket

fullmetalbucket LawnSite Member

Hi All, found another truck today.... Nice old '92 F250 7.3L International XLT truck. The frame, cab and floors are mint. They replaced the front fenders, box and doors with Southern US parts. Truck is tight and straight but I'd give it a coat of paint to make it nice... Everything works, even the power lumbar, has dual tanks etc, etc.... 143,000 MILES and an 8' Arctic plow with joystick controls.
    I've heard that the Int 7.3 is known as a million mile motor.... any truth to this? Anyone have one of these trucks? I'm seriously considering going down tomorrow and making him an offer..... Any input would really be appreciated.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

How many kilometers does the truck have ?

The only thing with the 7.3 IDI N/A is glow plugs and if the truck has some miles on the engine you may need injectors and a pump.

The big killer of the 7.3 IDI is cavitiation in the cylinder walls if there wasn't the additive in the coolant then you get caviation. It eats a pin hole through the cylinder and hydrolocks the engine. It can happen at any time and you need a rebuilt engine.

If the truck has any service history on it to find out if the cooling system has been maintained.

I had a 7.3 IDI it was good not much power I would rather have a 95-97 PSD thou in a OBS Ford.

3. fullmetalbucket

It has 230,000KM on it.... He seems honest enough, has service history from a Ford dealer and was talking alot how well it has been maintained. It did take a couple times to fire up and he did say that in the winter it's sometimes hard to start if it's not plugged in. What does a pump run on those?? I thought it accelerated fine - better than my 6.5TD! Wasn't lightening but felt like the 7.3 I had in my '93 250 a few years ago...
    I'll make a point of asking him about the diesel specific antifreeze though....
    Thanks for the input!

4. fullmetalbucket

Suppose I do get it, can you resleeve them?

5. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

yes you can, I guess you really shouldnt bore out the 7.3 idi because of the sleeves and thin walls, a guy over on the forum Im on for the IDIs went through like 3 rebuilt 7.3's in 6 months because the company that rebuilt them bored them out and the sleeves would come out of the block. He ended up building a super 6.9 IDI that was good for around 300 ponies. What is the asking price of the truck?

6. fullmetalbucket

He's asking $7500 Canadian for the truck with the plow. Forgot to mention it has a backrack with plow lights, new bank of pro installed switches. I was really impressed with the overall condition of the truck.... I'm suspecting that the glow plugs aren't 100% because it took a few attempts to get'er going. Is there a test for glow plugs? Is there a test I can have done to the antifreeze to see if it's the correct type for the truck?
    Thanks.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have owned a lot of those trucks. That engine is good for about 500,000 miles, if well cared for.
    The truck itself, without the plow, would sell here in Texas for about $2500.00 - $3000.00, tops. I do not know how the market is for them in your area. Sounds like a nice truck though.

8. fullmetalbucket

$7-8000.00 seems to be about what you have to pay to get anything diesel, 3/4t or better that appears to be a reliable truck that hasn't been beat on too bad. Anything less than that and the trucks usually have a ton of rust or other issues. I'll call the guy and get him to e-mail me a bunch of pics that I'll post.

9. fullmetalbucket

One more thing about this truck that I see as a + is that it has never towed... It also had the trans rebuilt 5000km ago.

10. fullmetalbucket

I just spoke to the owner of the truck and he said he always made sure that the Ford dealer used the proper diesel antifreeze in the truck. The owner before him was a long haul trucker who did all his own maintenance and only owned diesels... and he always used diesel AF in the truck. I should have pics later today... I'll post when I get them.