1993 F250 w/ 7.3 IDI?????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've wanted a diesel for a long time now. Early this past summer I almost bought a 2000 F350 crewcab dually 4x4 w/ the famous 7.3. Truck had 115K miles and the guy was willing to take $15,000 I was all setup to buy it loan approved had the check but ended up listening to pop saying it was more then I needed right now. Well now I need a truck like that but to find something close to those specs is easliy $20K now.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I was flipping through the local bargain trader and found a '93 F250 reg cab 2wd w/ a 7.3 IDI diesel and automatic. A few body blemishes but for work it would do. The truck has a little more the 300K miles but is only $1,500. I am wanting to move up to a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer and am curious how this truck might do for a season. Anyone have any expierence w/ this type off truck?

2. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

good motor, will not set any speed records though. has any work been done to it? love that body style!

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

It's at a dealer lot where it was recently traded for a newer powerstroke. They claimed he was a friend of the head mechanic and said the truck was treated like a car and always maintained. Say it needs 4 tires, a radio, and a brake box for towing a trailer. So about $2000 total.

I'm not sure if I should just save the money for a down payment on newer truck. Lately I've been thinking about a new dodge 2500 w/ a hemi for the lifetime powertrain warranty.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

made till '03.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would look for something newer the old IDI is almost at its lifespan at 300,000miles. As for going with a hemi I hope you like burning lots of gas. If your going with a ugly Dodge your better off with a diesel. A hemi would be pretty well useless at pulling any kind of load.

Keep searching you will find something.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

are the IDI's the naturally aspirated or the turbo motors?

we had a 93 F250 non-turbo and man that thing drug a$$ everywhere it went...stay away from the non-turbos

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The hemi will pull any load better than a 7.3 IDI.

Albery---Check into that lifetime powertrain warrenty before you buy, they have some disclaimers and I wouldn't put it past chrysler not to cover a vehicle used primarily for towing.

As for the truck in question---we had one with similar mileage and towed a 20ft enclosed with 1-3 ZTR's and the appropriate 2-cycle stuff. I would say it will do the job with 4.10's in the rear but you won't win any races. $3500 is not bad for a pretty reliable truck but keep in mind that other things will break as the season progresses.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, a '93 auto is na. They feel comparable to a carbeurated small block gasser to me (302 ford,305chevy,318dodge)

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we have a non-turbo in an older international, and the one that was in that 250 that we got rid of...they felt comparable to lawn mower to me...but then again that 250 did pull an 11K trailer for an hour up a mountain to one of the jobsites i had