1993 Toro proline 36"-swap T bar for pistol grip?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawncareguy, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Lawncareguy

Lawncareguy LawnSite Member

I just purchased this mower for a smaller account that I have so I can get through the gate. The Kohler 14 runs perfect but I have a couple of questions for Toro users. It has been a while since posting on here. The rain has kept me VERY busy this summer.

1. Is is possible to remove the T-bar and replace or retro-fit the pistol grip steering on this model from another Toro?

2. I need the side discharge chute diverter ( it is missing )

3. What are the cutting heights ? 2"-4"? Before I start moving it around and measuring.

4. I know it needs a clutch assy and engine regulator ( only getting 8 volts output) and the blade engagement will not run unless governer is bypassed at high rpm's. Is this easy to replace?

5. Do the Gator blades work well on a smaller mower like this? I have a Gravely 252 ZTR and the Gator blades are all I use.

Any help would be appreciated as I know there are a lot of these mowers still ticking around.

This is my first experience with a T-bar mower.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

1)Can be done but Very eXpensive....I despise T-Bar on the Hydros & Investigated Pricing a few Years ago...

2)You Don't Need It !

3)Probably 1.5" to 4.5"...Depends if you have "Classic" or Not

4)Talk to Your Dealer !

5)Use the Stock High Lifts....

6) Buy an eXmark...I Learned to Hate Toro Walks (SFS/T-Bar) Units after Switching to eXmark !
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

gators leave strips of uncut grass with my Toro 36"
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

1. t-bar is much easier than pistol grip. like everything new practice at your house. but it is much more intuitive.
    2.I don't use mine either
    3.mine are 1.5-5 .5 inch per peg
    4.no idea
    5. no idea.
  5. Lawncareguy

Lawncareguy LawnSite Member

Thank you for the replies. I guess I will learn to adapt to it. I played with it on level ground last night and it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. There is actually a decal that shows the height from 1.5"-4" on the deck. I just didn't see it at first. The blades are not high lift but I will look into that.

Fareway Lawncare, I will stick with the Toro due to the deal I got on it. I just have 2 small lots and needed a 36" to get into the gate with. I believe that now owning 3 Gravely's in the past and present that my next NEW purchase will be another Gravely due to their track record. Exmark makes Excellent equipment but not within what I am willing to pay the difference for to have the same cut/quality as what I have now.

Happy cutting!