1995 Dodge 1500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mad_wrestler, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I am hearing pinging when I step on the gas or am at 2800 RPMs or higher. I have tried all of the differant gas stations around here. What is my next step? :dizzy:

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try some octane booster.

3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to burn a higher octane fuel. What grade/octane of fuel are you filling up with. With my 1996 1500 I had to run at least 89 octane if I was towing.

4. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Wow thanks a lot. My Saturn (my estimate car) just lost the timing chain and then the truck started doing that! I was getting worried. Thanks a lot. I will try the differant fuel and booster. I had been using 87 octane.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Check the engine timing. It should run just fine on 87 octane.

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Check-out some of the Dodge sites online. Sometimes the intake gasket will let go, resulting in this ping that you are talking about. I guess they had a lot of problems with this. Also, high mileage can lead to valve problems. Have a mechanic take it for a ride.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

even though yours is a v8 and a 1500. my dakota v6 3.9, had to run on atleast 91 octane to prevent nocking

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

/\ That would be my first step.

9. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Go to dodgetruckworld.org, it is another forum i am a member of with my dodge, they can answer any questions
    AK Lawn

10. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be looking at the intake plenum gasket or another vacuum leak. The timing is controlled by the PCM. Base timing is non adjustable. if you think the base timing is off, you have to have a diagnostic tool hooked up and check it.