1995 Ford F250 7.3

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ashs inc, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

This is my first 7.3 truck. It has two batteries. It wont crank. the guy at auto zone tried to sell me a $122 battery. do i need this expensive of a battery? 1000 cranking amps

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

In my experience with 16 of the 7.3 Powerstrokes, it does not pay to buy cheap batteries. In fact, replace both batteries at the same time. If you do just one, you will be doing the other one in a couple of months. So, go ahead, buy two good quality, heavy duty batteries now, and be done with it for 3 or 4 years.

3. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

The joys of owning a diesel :walking:

4. greensolutions1

greensolutions1 LawnSite Member

yes definately get a good one and you need to replace both at the same time. Ive got a couple 7.3s and a couple 6.0s about $300 to replace batteries at one time

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Go to walmart and get the everstart batteries. They have a pretty good warranty and they've always treated me good. Those junk batteries at advance and auto zone never last for me.

6. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

244 for batteries just seems like a lot

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Did they test the batteries? I've bought one battery for my 89 7.3idi diesel and the other one lasted a year without issues. I've sold the truck since then and it was working fine when I sold it. All my cables were upgraded I think to 0 gauge all the way to the starter.

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Well you have one of the best ford diesel motors (actually the best) one made and in order to crank it over especially during cold winter months you will need the 1000ca battery.

9. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I second this. I have 1 7.3 for the last 6 years. Buy good batteries, clean cable or replace, have good glow plugs and all should be good!

10. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

This is soo true, by the way pick up a couple fuel filter at 20 to 30 bucks each and 20 quarts of oil, just to get it rounded up to 400 bucks.