1996 F250 7.3L Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Paradise Landscapes, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Ok where to start? mmmmmm. . . . . .
    Just bought it last night. Plugged it in last night, This morning I had tried to start it. Low power. Charged batteries. Still the same.

KC2006 came over. Looked at batteries, can't find culprit to why they would still be low on power. Took them to the store for check when KC left. 1 battery was bad. had to buy a new one. Put both batteries in. NOTHING!! No lights no power, or anything.

This is my first diesel truck.

2. The Elements Group

The Elements Group LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked the altenater? Also, i had this happen with my 97' check the glow plug relay. is it ticking when you turn the key? Do the lights come on and or the radio? this engine is storng and will last. i have switched to the cummims though. I know the glow plug relay sounds exspensive but it shouldnt be more than 130.00 for the part at an auto parts store. it is also easily located . hope this helps. did you try t ocrank it by by-passing the ignition switch and jumping current? good luck

3. Paradise Landscapes

No power period. No lights or anything.

4. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked all the fuses?

5. Paradise Landscapes

I'll have to check them tomorrow. Where would the fuse panel be at?

6. Paradise Landscapes

I don't know how this is done. The alternator is good still.

7. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Most likely behind the dash, above the brake pedal. You should be able to look under there and see it.

8. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Check the starter I have a 6.0 and my starter went recently, went to start everything died, charged over night, charger read 100 went to start it everything died

9. D&B Sharp Finish

D&B Sharp Finish LawnSite Member

Check your fuses under the hood number 20 can cause your truck to do this...

10. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Was it really cold out and it wouldn't turn over right away then died? My block heater was no good, so i would crank it and it wouldn't turn over, it uses the battery up very quickly if that was the case.