1996 Ford

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grass Busters Inc., Sep 5, 2007.

1. Grass Busters Inc.

Grass Busters Inc. LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I have a 1996 7.3 PSD & have a problem. The truck at times will idle very rough, almost to the point of dying. If you watch the RPM’s they are getting way to low. If you put your foot onto the fuel pedal you can bring up the rpm’s and smooth it out. At times when driving the truck will have almost total loss of power on the acceleration, I can put the pedal to the floor and it will just chug like its pulling a 40K Lb trailer. The truck will S L O W L Y get up to about 30 mph and then take of like a rocket. At some points I will have no problems with it, other times you can hear the turbo working hard but the truck just has no power. After discovering this problem I changed out the fuel filter, air filter, pulled off the turbo intake and inspected it (turbo is working fine) At this point I seem to think it’s a fuel problem. Its very temperamental, one second the truck is working great then the next time you step on the fuel nothing. Any ideas?

New FOrd.JPG

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You might be having a problem in your injector wiring harness. This harness is located UNDER the valve covers. It is common to have problems with this wiring when these engines get a good bit of age on them.

3. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Check injector seals, 96 had a poorly designed injector seal. Also, for a small amount of consideration, check the catalytic converter. I hope fpr your sake that it is something cheap....( not the injection pump ) Good luck and keep us posted..

4. Grass Busters Inc.

Does it have one ?

5. Grass Busters Inc.

Well thanks guys :) Turns out it was low on oil :hammerhead: Never would have thought of that. Supposedly the fuel system is related to oil pressure. What happened is the oil filter got knocked lose and we lost some oil. Its all good now :weightlifter:

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Yeah, Ford uses oil pressure to power the injectors. Makes it almost impossible to turn the power up on them, and also contributes the the hard starting when it's cold. If you can't pump the oil into the top of then engine, the injectors won't fire.:cry:

7. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

low on oil--whered it go????????????????????????????? open the cover for the fuel filter---take the fuel cover off--whats the color of the fuel--if not green--or whatever the color the fuel your using--the injector o rings are headed south--when they go--they push engine oil into the fuel rails--and it gets back to the fuel filter---

8. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Umm it says in the post that the oil filter came loose....:hammerhead: